Guinea talk.

I haven't posted anything here in a few months. It seems every time I come here to brag about Gertrude starting a new nest, something bad happens and we lose all the eggs. I decided it was bad luck to "count your eggs before they are hatched", so I quit saying anything.
She started nests in the chicken coop twice in the spring but lost a total of 20 eggs to snakes. We finally got the snakes under control by using moth balls around the outside of the coop and remodeling the inside of the coop so they had no place to hide.
Then she started to nest in the woods, but the dogs found her and stole at least 5 eggs. They brought one in the house to show us they found the nest. Then we followed a trail of broken eggs to the woods.
In August she made her 3rd attempt at laying in the coop. Unfortunately it was in a very inaccessible location under the roosts. We put some hay bales in place to build her a small cave. Thank you to whoever posted the picture of their cave. We took your advice to do the same thing.
IMG_0891.JPG

IMG_0884.JPG

She finally got her egg count up to 32 eggs at the beginning of this month and decided to start setting. The problem is, it's at least 90 degrees every day here in August. So left out in the heat, several of them went bad. We noticed a terrible smell in the nest last week and got her off the nest. 14 of the eggs had set long enough for the shells to become weak and were cracked. Rotten eggs all over! We cleaned them out and replaced all the soiled hay.
IMG_0909.JPG

She got back on the nest, but she kicked out 11 more eggs the next day. They were cold by the time we found them so I took them out and found they were all bad too.
Now she is down to just 7 of the original 32 eggs. Likely none of them are going to be any good and we will not be getting any new keets. It's just too hot here in the summer to leave eggs laying around that long.
She's layed at least 50 eggs this season, but no babies. Maybe someday we will get this thing figured out. Still hoping for an incubator for Christmas!

Attachments

• IMG_0886.JPG
    IMG_0886.JPG
    440.5 KB · Views: 6
Hi All and happy Sunday!

Good to hear from some peeps who haven't been able to post for a while.

@MartinsPoultry - sounds like a good deal, guinea sales for a lifetime supply of free bread! I can't even give away my extras and resorted to sending three of them to an auction. At least I have that option. You'll have to post a pic of Charlie the rooster. I don't think I saw him in the last batch, but the pics you posted were beautiful. That camera takes great photos. Your orps are beautiful and I love the color. Blue or Black? I have three reds - good broody hens in case the guineas abandon a nest.

IMG_8421.JPG

So Anya is going broody? Are you going to let her sit on and try to hatch the eggs? I have to say when I saw the keet pics posted by @Tlmcq (love them) and read about Anya going broody, I thought to myself, "Thank goodness I'm beyond that stage at this point in the year!" Forty-three keets were enough for me this year, but I'm with you, @Dmontgomery and I hope you get your incubator because when you have a successful hatch, it's addicting! Glad that you have the snakes under control, but sorry to hear about the stinky eggs. It would have been nice for you to have at least one round of successful hatchings. You may have seen my barn posting about the hay bales. It worked well for enticing the hens to lay and providing some privacy. I now use them for the youngsters to keep away from the more aggressive older ones. Wish I had room for more, but may consider a jungle gym structure of some sort for them to fly up and and roost to make a quick get away.

Not sure what weather has been like for you all, but we had a VERY wet and cold summer, then with the arrival of fall, it was like one last burst of summer with temps in the 90's. The youngsters got it in their heads that it would be a cool thing to start roosting in the trees or outside on top of the run. Be still my heart! For the past two days, it has cooled off again and I've been able to encourage them to roost in the barn with a bit of the bell and millet. Since my husband took care of them the week I was away, he's been taking more pics - bonding with the feathered friends here. I thought this one was good of them dusting in the mulch. I only wish they would pull the weeds while they are there!

IMG_8464.JPG

And some of the lavs....

IMG_8398.JPG

Enjoy the rest of the weekend!
Rhonda @GlennLee

The two guineas I had on a nest outside decided to abandon it yesterday. :barnie:he That was the first morning with frost this fall. I don't know if they will be okay or not. Good news is I got my new incubator! The eggs are in it now, hoping that some of them will make it.:fl

Thanks, Dmontgomery. Every day, I think how lucky I am to have my flock of birds. They are the best. And I don't think I mentioned how much I loved seeing those hay bale caves of yours. They really like them - it makes them think they have natural protection. Have fun with your birds! Can't wait to hear your stories in the future with hatching. It will happen - just get that incubator! :celebrate

Back
Top Bottom