Guinea talk.

Pics
Let me clarify that was a 2 minute excerpt of a 3.5 hr experience here is every single detail...

I only used the truck lights to pin point them. They cover 40 acres easily. I heard them last by owls tree 1/4 mile away. Very big area to search. I went there and searched from 830-12 with a thumb sized led flashlight because my magnet is dead. I heard them right under feet. I found them. The weeds are 6', some arch like a willow and make 10000000s of little nests. Others are dense thorn patches. My thumb size light died.

My truck at this point was very far away. I ran to it and used my lights to make a sweep, re-find them and confirm it was actually them. I didn't actually or literally count heads but visually it looked about right,if not exactly all of them.

After realizing how far out I was I knew I needed a cage. I did not know it had been 3.5 hours felt like 45 minutes. Anyway I physically marked the spot to stop at. I went home to put jeans on cause after that long my legs were no doubt destroyed by thorns even though I couldn't feel it yet. I was wet and could see my breath and heard myself coughing but wasn't actually col but was after all in basketball shorts and wife beater.

I then drove to the next town to my aunt's house and got a flashlight, mine died, grabbed potato bags and a spare cage. It took 30 minutes. I stopped at the big spruce, about 20-25' back from the marker that I didn't need at this point. I killed the lights and went in on foot. I cut in behind them so if they scattered it would be into the road and not the woods.

I didn't even use the flashlight cause it takes 2 hands to catch a bird. I live alone and I needed all the hands I could get. Parents are on vacation. Just me doing this. Clearly with only 2 hands a light wasn't even an option while retrieving them.

No. They scattered in the dark cause once you catch a few the others run. They run also because they are wild and scared. They think you are hunting them. I was lucky after 6 hrs because I didn't give up. They were separated in the dark into smaller groups.

I used the flashlight off and on to re-find them, here and there. I did not have help and that makes a Huge difference. With one person, they will scatter in light or dark. If you can't pin them in on one side, they run out the back side...

They remained close-ish to each other but not together like they were. I made several trips. Every time I went back they had refound each other. No doubt by following the small purring sounds they were making. The cold helped. Were it warm enough to be in the wet grass on their own, I think they would have stayed scattered in small groups. Moon was also clear at this point.

Anyway after searching a very large area for 3.5 hrs, it took from 1am to 130 to catch what I could. Although I think the trucks clock is off by an hr still. whatever. Took them to house. Laid down but couldn't let it go. Went back at 3. 430. 6 for an hour each time. Found all but 1 here and there. Last try to find last one at 6. Heard him rattling. He flew from tree to tree. Drove home, riled the birds up. They heard each other and flew home. No. They scattered an hour after any lights were ever shone on them. That first comment was a very brief synopsis at midnight I believe. It took 3.5 hrs to find them. 3 more off and on to capture what I could. There abouts. Times are estimation. All my clicks are wrong except on tablet. Anyway... This recount is the best of my recollection. Good night.

Last edited:
Getting all my birds back from these woods was an impossibility but I got lucky.

Last edited:
Charid I'm glad you caught them all. I can't imagine hunting guineas in the dark by myself.

No it's not bad advice. Each flock is different. Each land and predator. Each situation. For these birds I am done stepping in. The fit will survive. I should have considered getting them home and doing it alone. They were very far away. They were in a huddle. Am I glad I did it? To be honest yes because it was too great a risk to leave them but when I saw them scatter... No. I freaked. I had to finish what I started or I felt they would not have made it as some were found and some notbbut it's hard to say. I just no now it is not wise to attempt the capture of that many birds alone.

Even just today, like right now, I see once again that the lead male of the old flock has once again chased off and left behind 6 younger birds. I don't know what the situation is or why he keeps doing this. Could they be genetically weak or sick like baby was?

Baby is still alive and well. He is still baby size and is in a separate coop. He may be mentally handicapped as he has taken to me as he would a companion animal. He hurts himself often, flying with one eye...he wounded and rewounded his right leg more times than I can count but so far still gets around and this morning was happy as all get out. That's why I say he aint right. Loves the grey and orange cat. I can leave baby with oskie and she will curl up with him. Very unusual. Orange hates baby but will not hurt him. I have left them all together while at work when it's raining out. 8 hours about a dozen times now. Still alive but don't like pressing my luck.

The birds are his biggest threat. I let him graze with them, graze meaning they were content to loaf in yard, and they pecked him as if to kill him. He ran straight into my arms. Picked him up and cuddled. He still likes to cuddle. Like I said, his brain isn't right.

No it's not bad advice. Each flock is different. Each land and predator. Each situation. For these birds I am done stepping in. The fit will survive. I should have considered getting them home and doing it alone. They were very far away. They were in a huddle. Am I glad I did it? To be honest yes because it was too great a risk to leave them but when I saw them scatter... No. I freaked. I had to finish what I started or I felt they would not have made it as some were found and some notbbut it's hard to say. I just no now it is not wise to attempt the capture of that many birds alone.

Even just today, like right now, I see once again that the lead male of the old flock has once again chased off and left behind 6 younger birds. I don't know what the situation is or why he keeps doing this. Could they be genetically weak or sick like baby was?

Baby is still alive and well. He is still baby size and is in a separate coop. He may be mentally handicapped as he has taken to me as he would a companion animal. He hurts himself often, flying with one eye...he wounded and rewounded his right leg more times than I can count but so far still gets around and this morning was happy as all get out. That's why I say he aint right. Loves the grey and orange cat. I can leave baby with oskie and she will curl up with him. Very unusual. Orange hates baby but will not hurt him. I have left them all together while at work when it's raining out. 8 hours about a dozen times now. Still alive but don't like pressing my luck.

The birds are his biggest threat. I let him graze with them, graze meaning they were content to loaf in yard, and they pecked him as if to kill him. He ran straight into my arms. Picked him up and cuddled. He still likes to cuddle. Like I said, his brain isn't right.

I think your problem with the dominant male and the younger Guineas will correct itself as the young ones get older, integrated into the flock, and pecking order is established. Every year my dominant adults pick on the juvenile keets. By the next spring 1/2 of them are the dominant male's girlfriends and all is right within the flock....until the next year's keets hatch, get older, and it starts all over again.
I am glad to hear that baby is still hanging in there. I wouldn't lose hope for him to fit in with the flock eventually. I have a hen that broke her foot when she was little (I'm sure I've mentioned her before). Her first year of life was spent almost all alone in the coop and when she was with the others they would pick on her terribly. Now she is 3 years old and goes out with all the others. This is really the first year that all the others have not picked on her and she is finally able to go out and free range with all the others.

I was finally able to check under lavender hen this morning by taunting her with my fingers. She raised up to snap at me and I could see a tiny lavender keet under her breast. Keets e are tiny but look even smaller under a big puffed up mama! I can't wait to see if she's going to be good with them. I hope so. I might only let her hold on to pearls, just in case (racist?)

Last edited:
Sun I'm glad she has hatched the one and I guess she will continue sitting for a couple of days and wait for the rest of hatch? I don't know if she is going to let you get to the lavenders if she is protective. Did you bring some of the eggs in and put in an incubater? How are they doing?

Spiderman and Mary Jane come in the house today. It was like old home week. Spiderman sit on my lap while I petted his neck and he went to sleep while I held him. Mary Jane sit on my husbands lap and cooed while he petted her. They stayed in for about a half an hour and not one single accident. They certainly have more manners then my chickens or ducks.
lol.png

I hope everyone has a nice day and Sun keep us updated on the momma guinea.

Mama ventured out with her babies today. I did take two lavenders and a late hatching pearl that couldn't keep up. So, she has five babies - 1 lavender and 4 pearls. The male is right by her side helping watch over them and her, which is great. They are making me nervous though because they are already venturing out into the soybean field with them. They seem to be staying right on the edge,, which is good...but still seems like too much for little babies. If a fox comes there is no way the babies will be able to flee out after the parents. :( I noticed something while watching them - lavender babies almost disappears into the surroundings and the pearls stick out much more. It seems counter-intuitive but for some reason, even with my adults, the lavenders seem to hold out against predators the best.

This was one of my worst hatches all year. All of the eggs spent some time under mama and some time in the incubator, with her hatching a final total of eight. The eggs that she hatched had been in the incubator for weeks 2 and 3 and then I managed to snatch the last of her eggs and put some incubator eggs under her. It seems the ones that I did not get until the last week suffered from the high humidity outside and I couldn't counteract it enough in that final week. Three of the keets ended up drowning during hatch because there was so much liquid in the eggs; another two died immediately after hatching.

The pearl mama killed the keet that I gave her trying to break her broodiness. Actually, I don't think she killed it, I think she wasn't paying attention to it and it got trapped and crushed in the eggs. When I told DH about it he scowled because it meant I was not going to be able to get her off the burn pile unless I destroy her nest, which I don't want to do. He has a bad attitude right now because he is trying to quit smoking (again) and hasn't had a cigarette since Saturday. Every time he tries to quit I get to endure a week or more of h***. (sigh)

Anyway, out of the 27 eggs that made it through the first three weeks, I wound up with 20 keets. Six died or killed and one egg that went bad the final week.

I'm not sure of the due date for the pearl mama's babies. She had 14 eggs but I took seven when I collected the keets body and I put them in the incubator with some chicken eggs that I have.

@pattyhen I am always amazed at your tales of the tame guineas lol. Next year when I hatch more turkeys maybe I will try to have a lap guinea as well. My turkey is also very good about not going to the bathroom in my lap, which is more than I can say for the goose that I used to have! Also, I hope your foot is doing okay.

Last edited:
Love love love the pics. I love to see the babies with the mommas and dad. I hope they keep them safe.

Sorry about your DH being in a grouchy mood. As time goes on he should be better. It won't be to much longer he'll be able to get to the burn pile when momma hatches those babies. You are so lucky to have all these babies.

Thanks so much for sharing their pics she did a great job sitting on those eggs.

Back
Top Bottom