Guinea talk.

This is a pic of spiderman.

dmontgomery if I saw a snake in the coop that would be the end of me.  I would probably have a heart attack.  :D   Good luck with your hatching and may they all be hens.  

well the snake came back 2 days later and cleaned out the nest. But he left a little present...he shed his skin in the workshop. My grandson was so excited! He got a 4' long snake skin as a souvenir.

Mary Jane has laid 14 eggs so far and is setting on them off and on during the day.  This evening when I went to turn the light off she was in the nesting box setting on the eggs.  Spiderman was on the table by himself.  He was whining and crying I had to give him a big hug and petted him and he finally laid down.  If she goes broody fulltime I don't know what Spiderman is going to do with himself.  I felt so sorry for him.  
hows her nesting going?

Just get your dogs to go and collect those eggs!  In fact, have them follow the guineas around and pick up after them.  Crazy guineas - that's what they like to do and then all of a sudden, they'll start laying in one spot and go broody on you.  It sounds like you've already got a broody hen to help out with hatching. We can't wait to see pics of those little keets running around.  I'm sure you get your share of snakes there - lucky you!  We'll have some garter snakes a bit later when it warms up.  Still in the 50's here.  I watched the flock chase after a big woodchuck the other day.  They were relentless.  I don't think he knew what he was in for and they kept him running for a while.  I have seen them do that to a skunk, but this is the first I've seen them run after a woodchuck.  One more thing to add to the list of reasons why I have guineas. 

one of the Bassett Hounds follow them to the woods every day. Gertrude goes off to her nest and Gary stands guard at the tree line and screams at the dog! I made a feeble attempt to find the nest Thursday. Jenny has dug out a hole in the coop and has layed 3 eggs in it this week!!! Hopefully she will keep going and I won't have to use one of the broody hens. A 2nd RIR went broody this week, so now we have 16 chicken eggs under 2 mommas. Plus whatever Gertrude and Jenny give us. This might be a fun spring.

This is a pic of spiderman.

that is a huge helmet. Very manly!

Spiderman says thank you very much he is already conceited now this really gives him a big head. Mary Jane is up to about 17 eggs and still only sitting full time at night. I don't know if she is going to commit herself to sitting full time or not. I wish I had a broody hen I would put some under her.

Good luck with the hatching dmontgomery and I'm sorry about the snake. At least you got something in return for the eggs a skin. I don't think I could even touch a skin. I've got goosebumps now just thinking about it.

I hope everyone has a nice day it's beautiful out today but we have 9 straight days of rain the forecast.
ep.gif

Yesterday was fun. Ive been keeping an eye on the pair delta and charlie hes getting protective over her, chasing blue away which makes echo so mad i guess she thought charlie belonged to her.
After i got done with my morning feeding i step on the back porch to go inside and a ribbon snake was sitting there, my first thought was relocate cause my guineas would slurp him up like a noodle. I caught him had james take me to one of the hiking trails near by and we released him.
They are endangered here and every chance i can get to save one i will.

And ive been getting chicken sized spotted eggs are those guineas? None of my hens lay spotted eggs with the exception of the turkeys but i know those from chickens.

If so the next one laid id like to try and set it for hatching.

Back
Top Bottom