Guinea vs Silkie Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mountaintopfarm, Aug 11, 2016.

1. mountaintopfarm

mountaintopfarm Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2016
    Does anyone have pics of guinea eggs and silkie eggs? Trying to figure out who's laying the small eggs. Both are about 5m old.

2. MainerChick

MainerChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Frankly I don't think you'll need photos. The difference is in the crackin'. Guinea eggs are almost impossibly hard. I can crack a guinea egg but it takes two or three hard whacks on a bowl, and sometimes I can pull hunks of shell off the inner membrane of the raw egg. It's very odd. My silkie's eggs though are just like hen eggs, just a bit smaller. I will say the guineas seem to lay more textured eggs, and with more likelihood of speckles or color oddities. If you post a photo of what you're getting, maybe we can help!

3. mountaintopfarm

Feb 2, 2016
    [​IMG]

4. MainerChick

MainerChick Chillin' With My Peeps

I believe your left side egg should be the guinea. It's smaller, speckled, looks rough on the surface, etc. Try opening the two up and see how hard the shells are comparison.

5. mountaintopfarm

Feb 2, 2016
    That's what I thought too.
    The left side eggs are left in the afternoon. The guineas are using the nesting boxes then if that's their egg.
    Just got a right side egg and silkies were in coop. Mystery solved.
    Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by