Guinea wild turkey hybrid??

Interesting article, but I think after reading it and looking at the numbers, a handful of terribly malformed survivors out of 2900 eggs tells me that they were just anomalies and that they can’t realistically cross. Makes sense too as turkeys are North American and have been genetically separated from all other domestic fowl for long enough that back crosses are no longer possible. Neat topic!

Can’t see more than the first page of the second article, but again it seems to indicate that egg fertility was very low and most embryos died without hatching, probably just supports the case that it can’t be done. And who’d want to, turkeys are cute enough as they are!

Interesting article, but I think after reading it and looking at the numbers, a handful of terribly malformed survivors out of 2900 eggs tells me that they were just anomalies and that they can’t realistically cross. Makes sense too as turkeys are North American and have been genetically separated from all other domestic fowl for long enough that back crosses are no longer possible. Neat topic!
Thanks for reading the articles I posted. I don't want to deny such a hybrid right out of the gate. I am honestly not trying to be argumentive, but I do feel there is a possibility here. I would be excited to see if there is a DNA verification of such a hybrid in this case. I'm am animal science freak, I cannot deny the possibility just because it is highly abnormal. Churkeys really are a thing, malformed or not.

I did find on the web, one other documented instance of a turkey x guinea hybrid. I couldn't obtain the DNA verification status of this hybrid, so didn't post it. Suffice it to say, I feel there is a possibility here judging from the pictures and the differences I could discern from normal guineafowl.

Last edited:
Churkeys really are a thing, malformed or not.
I googled churkey and all I came up with the same old claim that naked necks aka turkens are a chicken / turkey cross which has been proven to be untrue. Turkens are all chicken despite the idiot with his Youtube video claiming his turken rooster is half turkey.

I am assuming that you refer to the feathersite claim of a turkey/guinea hybrid. Personally that hybrid looks like a guinea/light brahma cross to me. They only offer the claim that it is a turkey/guinea cross and show no proof.

There is a published research about attempted turkey chicken crosses again in the past. Their claim was that they were unable to get any viable eggs except for those that they used game fowl in. In the game fowl tests, they managed to get some fertile eggs but they never claimed that the eggs actually hatched nor did they continue with their experiments.

My statement was and is that there are no successful turkey crosses with other poultry. Getting development in the egg is not the same thing as a successful hatch and growth to adulthood.

Because turkeys are capable of parthenogensis, getting development in the egg and a claimed turkey looking offspriing does not prove anything without the DNA proof.

I still don't see any proof of your claim that their is DNA proof of turkey hybrids.

I googled churkey and all I came up with the same old claim that naked necks aka turkens are a chicken / turkey cross which has been proven to be untrue. Turkens are all chicken despite the idiot with his Youtube video claiming his turken rooster is half turkey.

I am assuming that you refer to the feathersite claim of a turkey/guinea hybrid. Personally that hybrid looks like a guinea/light brahma cross to me. They only offer the claim that it is a turkey/guinea cross and show no proof.

There is a published research about attempted turkey chicken crosses again in the past. Their claim was that they were unable to get any viable eggs except for those that they used game fowl in. In the game fowl tests, they managed to get some fertile eggs but they never claimed that the eggs actually hatched nor did they continue with their experiments.

My statement was and is that there are no successful turkey crosses with other poultry. Getting development in the egg is not the same thing as a successful hatch and growth to adulthood.

Because turkeys are capable of parthenogensis, getting development in the egg and a claimed turkey looking offspriing does not prove anything without the DNA proof.

I still don't see any proof of your claim that their is DNA proof of turkey hybrids.
So did you read either of the two articles I just posted? Clearly, you didn't. I did not post a link to Feathersite, and used peer-reviewed knowledge.

Yes, chicken turkey hybrids have been produced. Yes, they are rare. No, they aren't perfect. But not only did eggs develop, there was actually some hatching that occurred.

I think the catch is that in both articles -oh, you've another up now. Ok, in 1st articles, fertilization relied on artificial insemination. The author states at the beginning that due to size, chromosomal and incubation differences, that even artificial fertilization is challenged, much less the natural process,& the resulting offspring sound like something ASPCA reportable these days. Weird, isn't it, that we have the choice of chicken or turkey and some genius wanted to combine them so we'd really get sick of eating it.:confused:

I have heard of many claims of such occurances.
I have reservations .
just because it is written, does not make it so.
Maybe your guinea got crossed with a crow, or hawk ?
I ran flocks of fowl free range for many years. never even saw any of the different species trying to breed each other.
i guess I will have to remain a non-believer.

So did you read either of the two articles I just posted? Clearly, you didn't. I did not post a link to Feathersite, and used peer-reviewed knowledge.

Yes, chicken turkey hybrids have been produced. Yes, they are rare. No, they aren't perfect. But not only did eggs develop, there was actually some hatching that occurred.
I had read the second citation but did not see the first link because you cleverly added it your post after I had asked for sources.

The first article raises concerns about how true the results are and does bring up the concerns about parthenogenesis since any turkeys produced by parthenogenesis are male.

I am sure that you are going to continue to believe that there are successful turkey chicken hybrids. Personally, I have not seen any research that proves it can happen naturally. The fact that the turkey hybrid experiments were done a long time ago should tell you something but that isn't what you want to believe.

As far as wikipedia goes, it is a well known fact that there is a lot of false information posted on wikipedia.

Back
Top Bottom