Guinea wild turkey hybrid??

https://guineas.com/articles/genetics
" the less pearling apparent on a bird, the darker its background colour will be. So, the Royal Purple is the semi-pearled version of the pearl grey, and appears a little darker than it; and the violet is the non-pearled version of the pearl grey, and is darker again."
"it used to be thought that with peafowl, one white gene (T) led to a pied bird, whilst two (TT) gave a white bird. However, it is now apparent that you need both a pied and a white gene (PT) to get a pied peafowl, or two whites (TT) for a white bird. Peafowl with two pied genes (PP) are known as "dark pieds" and signal this effect by appearing to be a "normal" non-pied bird but with a few white flight feathers; birds with just one white gene (T) again look like a normal bird with white flight feathers (usually fewer in number than in the dark pied)."

:sick clear as mud?
Having read information from this author before, it is just speculation about there being a pied gene. She is trying to equate pea fowl color genetics with guinea fowl color genetics which is again just speculation. I have not found any conclusive evidence of a separate pied gene in guineas.

The trouble with guinea fowl color genetics is that far too much of it is speculation and too little of it has actually been proven through research.

Having read information from this author before, it is just speculation about there being a pied gene. She is trying to equate pea fowl color genetics with guinea fowl color genetics which is again just speculation. I have not found any conclusive evidence of a separate pied gene in guineas.

The trouble with guinea fowl color genetics is that far too much of it is speculation and too little of it has actually been proven through research.
Speaking of genetics, isn’t the semi-pearled gene that gives you a royal purple guinea dominant to the wild type, pearled gene? If so, you can’t get a purple from a crossing of two wild type, pearl guinea parents, can you?

Speaking of genetics, isn’t the semi-pearled gene that gives you a royal purple guinea dominant to the wild type, pearled gene? If so, you can’t get a purple from a crossing of two wild type, pearl guinea parents, can you?
Full dotting is dominant and requires only one copy of the full dotting gene for the condition to be displayed. Semi dotted is recessive to the full dotting gene but dominant to the no dotting gene. The no dotting gene is recessive to both the full dotting gene or semi dotted gene.

A guinea that has full dotting can be carrying a semi dotting gene or a no dotting gene and if bred to another guinea that has the same genes can produce either fully dotted, semi dotted or no dotted offspring.

A semi dotted guinea that is bred to a semi dotted guinea cannot produce a fully dotted offspring unless their happens to be a mutation.

Theoretically if the pearl gray guineas are carrying the right hidden recessive genes, they can produce Royal Purple offspring. Both the full dotting gene and the gray color gene that a Pearl Gray has are dominant genes requiring only one copy of the gene to be present for the conditions to be displayed making them the perfect combination to hide all kinds of recessive dotting or color genes.

Full dotting is dominant and requires only one copy of the full dotting gene for the condition to be displayed. Semi dotted is recessive to the full dotting gene but dominant to the no dotting gene. The no dotting gene is recessive to both the full dotting gene or semi dotted gene.

A guinea that has full dotting can be carrying a semi dotting gene or a no dotting gene and if bred to another guinea that has the same genes can produce either fully dotted, semi dotted or no dotted offspring.

A semi dotted guinea that is bred to a semi dotted guinea cannot produce a fully dotted offspring unless their happens to be a mutation.

Theoretically if the pearl gray guineas are carrying the right hidden recessive genes, they can produce Royal Purple offspring. Both the full dotting gene and the gray color gene that a Pearl Gray has are dominant genes requiring only one copy of the gene to be present for the conditions to be displayed making them the perfect combination to hide all kinds of recessive dotting or color genes.
Ah, that makes sense! I had thought that semi-dotting was dominant and that two copies of semi-dotting made no dotting; I hadn’t realized that they were separate genes. Thanks for clearing that up!

Ah, that makes sense! I had thought that semi-dotting was dominant and that two copies of semi-dotting made no dotting; I hadn’t realized that they were separate genes. Thanks for clearing that up!
The full dotting gene and the semi dotting gene are different genes. The no dotting gene may be a gene or it may simply be the lack of either a full dotting or semi dotting gene.

So is it the recessive gene that causes some to have deeper purple neck coloring, and if so, would that be a suggestion of that bird having higher probability of producing the RP offspring? (File this under "weird things that stimulates the brain").
I haven't seen any research concerning the shades of the purple neck coloring. It is possible that a darker coloring may signify the presence of two copies of the DSV gene (Dark Shade Variance).

Because of how I have produced Royal Purples, I do not believe the claims about what produces Royal Purples. My Royal Purples are produced by mating my Chocolate cock with a Coral Blue hen. In my opinion, this is not due to a mutation because it happens every year and multiple times. Their claim that Royal Purples have the dominant gray gene is not accurate in my opinion. Other than by mutation it is not possible for the Royal Purples that I produce to have the dominant gray gene.

Back
Top Bottom