Guineas and chickens?

Danigirl3

Songster
10 Years
May 13, 2009
Central Maine
Can they live harmoniously together? Do they need separate housing?

We have 16 chicks about 2.5 weeks old (still living in the house) and we were asked yesterday from a friend if we wanted a couple of guinea hen's. These coming from a friend of a friend. I believe the guineas are adults. I'm guessing you would eat the eggs like chicken eggs? lol

Thanks!
Daniele

I did keep my chickens and guineas together until this year. Before that I seperated them every spring. I had to seperate the guineas from the chickens because the male guineas are VERY territorial and killed one of my roosters. The will chase any rooster until he collapses. They don't give up. Mine free range 24/7 now and aren't allowed in the coop anymore. I only have 2 left anyway and they are both males - go figure. Also a couple of years ago my guinea killed my 5 mth old bronze turkey.
somad.gif
I vowed then I wasn't hatching any more guineas or adding any more to my flock. When these are gone - they are gone for good....
They would probably be better if they free range all the time or have their own coop. It just doesn't work well during guineas breeding season to have male guineas and roosters together.
Meant to add that you can eat the eggs. The shell is hard as rocks but the eggs are good
smile.png

Last edited:
Introducing adult guineas into an environment already dominated by chickens is going to be stressful on all. If you really want them to co-exist introduce them in a neutral place (unfamiliar to both). Give it six weeks, then move them all into their permanent home. Give it another six weeks before you let anyone free range.

If you let the guineas out sooner they will mostly likely fly away trying to get back home.

Last edited:
If you do not raise the Guinea fowl and the chickies together it is usually a gamble on the mix.

Many have had no problem, while some have had problems, especially with the male Guinea fowl.

Since you are introducing hen Guineas, you may be just fine.

Male Guinea fowl, called cocks can be very vicious when mating season comes. I have seen one of my Cocks chase another relentlessly and trying to hurt him.

I have not seen them chase my roos EVER.

Our have lived together since they were a day old! we have 9 guineas and 24 chickens. we have 2 guinea roos and the one insists on flying in to the chicken coop every night and sleeps with the chickens the other roost up top of the chickens but goes out with the girls evry day! the chickens are up in there coop and own yard this time of year due to our gardens! but the guineas free range evry day and go in to the coop on their own evry night!

From what ive heard the guineas can be bullies. I hav 3 faverolles that were living with guineas before I had them and the guineas hat totally obliterated their tails. One of them still has a bald butt. The other 2 have tails that are coming in nicely though. Also I bought 3 EEs from the same woman and 2 of them, the ones I still have brcause one died recently, have 3 bald spots on them. One on each wing and 1 on their heads. So there fore I wouldnt recomend it.

We haven't had our chickens with the guineas yet, but have raised our ducks with the guineas and they were fine until the guineas started laying eggs. Our male guinea has twice now attacked the drake. Still trying to figure out what we will do with the guineas as my son loves them, but we don't want him attacking our drake anymore. Hopefully he'll be out building a house for them or maybe we'll try spliting our current coop down the middle, not sure yet.

I have both and they live together just fine. the guineas were brought up with the chickens/chicks and we only add keets, no adults. the guineas in the winter, sleep in the rafters of the coop and in the summer, a tree outside the coop. this time of yr, they are still sleeping in the coop. our male guinea does chase the rooster under the porch but other then that, they all get along fine. you might start with keets instead of adults. I've heard adults won't stay around if they were not raised there.
I should add that my guineas lay their eggs in the coop and when the heat of summer comes, they lay them under the bushes.

Last edited:
My chickens and guianas get along just fine they all free range, have no idea where the guianas lay, but they roost in the huge cedar tree across from the chicken coop. When I go out to shut up the chicken coop, I always tell my girls goodnight and just how pretty they are, the guianas wait until I shut the door then they start squawking until I tell them GOODNIGHT GIRLS.Then they shut up and go to sleep. marrie

Back
Top Bottom