Guineas and quail...HELP!

feathrencox

In the Brooder
11 Years
Nov 11, 2008
West Virginia
smile.png
I have someone i work for that is ordering guineas and he was wondering how they did in the winter with foraging and stuff like that. are they good winter hardy birds?

Also, he's interested in raising some quail and releasing them. he owns 40 acres and was wondering how far away they would fly off. would they travel and leave his property or would they stay close?

Basically, he loves nature and wildlife and would to raise as many species of fowl that would stay around his house. Thanks in advance for any info you can give me.
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png

Also, pheasants...same questions as the quail about flying away from the property and such?

Last edited:
Most states require a permit to release quail and/or pheasants, so he would want to check into that first. They most likely wouldn't stick around though. He could put game bird feeders out to try and keep the birds around, but that is all based on what your state allows.

He would have to feed the guineas during the winter, since most of their 'normal' diet is insects, not too many of those when there is snow on the ground! During the summer though, he won't have to feed them at all.

Guineas need a draft free shelter for the winter. They HATE new things and snow will be new for a while. Once they have accepted the snow, they will go out but nothing like they do the rest of the year. Mine have days where they won't leave the coop.

Back
Top Bottom