Guineas and Roosters???

Sep 22, 2020
Texas United States
Ok so this Spring I plan to get 4 Guinea Fowl( The French ones) One male and 3 females. The only small problem I have is that I have a fenced in area and I free range all of my chickens but I have 2 rooster as of now (planning to get 1 more) and I dont know if they will try to kill each other. I am getting the Guineas as babies and they will have their own coop, but I plan to free range them with the chickens. If my guineas have enough room away from the roosters will they attack and kill them or will they leave them alone? I also have a bigger fenced in area that my Rhodesian Ridgeback and German Shepard will run around in( The German Shepard wouldnt mess with them but im pretty sure the Ridgeback will) Should I just put the Guineas in with the chickens or in the bigger area where the dogs will sometimes be at( the dogs are inside dogs). I have a total of 30 chickens as of now.

Ok so this Spring I plan to get 4 Guinea Fowl( The French ones) One male and 3 females. The only small problem I have is that I have a fenced in area and I free range all of my chickens but I have 2 rooster as of now (planning to get 1 more) and I don't know if they will try to kill each other. I am getting the Guineas as babies and they will have their own coop, but I plan to free range them with the chickens. If my guineas have enough room away from the roosters will they attack and kill them or will they leave them alone? I also have a bigger fenced in area that my Rhodesian Ridgeback and German Shepard will run around in( The German Shepard wouldn't mess with them but im pretty sure the Ridgeback will) Should I just put the Guineas in with the chickens or in the bigger area where the dogs will sometimes be at( the dogs are inside dogs). I have a total of 30 chickens as of now.
Read the thread Raising Guinea Fowl 101 and pay particular attention to posts made by @PeepsCA .

If you buy keets, you will get them straight run only. No one sells sexed guinea keets. Unlike other kinds of poultry, guineas do best with an equal number of males and females.

I do not recommend raising keets with chickens due to the problems that imprinting can cause later on.

Guineas are a flock bird and do best in large groups. I never recommend that anyone get less than 10 guineas.

I love guineas! They are like the dogs of ground fowl in my experience. Very loud spunky dogs. Also Guineas in the wild are monogamous, so they like to be in mated pairs. My Guineas stand up to the chickens and roosters, they are built like tanks and fight dirty so the Roos don’t pick on them much. They’ve never ever attacked any chicken, only defended themselves from ornery roos. When Guineas are scared they jump and can fly very well for such heavy birds, which may activate a dogs prey drive. I’d keep them with the chickens, I wouldn’t expect much of a problem.

Also Guineas in the wild are monogamous
This is a widely proclaimed statement that is not capable of being proved. I see no reason to believe they are any different in the wild than they are in free range conditions. Some can appear to be monogamous but if you watch what happens once the hen goes broody you can often witness they are not sticking to the hen that they started out the mating season with.

If the researchers are biased (most are) they can find evidence to make it seem like some are monogamous. To assume that all react the same is not a good idea. There is no way they can watch all the wild guineas and positively know what all of them are doing.

Back
Top Bottom