Guineas are murderous buttholes and I feel terrible...

I can't kill them either. We put the instigator in a dog crate for a few days and things have calmed down a bit. My husband is building another (small) coop to move the chickens to. Hopefully it will be done this weekend because we can see things picking up slowly. I am hoping they will be happier without the guineas even though their home will be smaller. they will have a decent size run and I usually let them out for and hour or two of supervised time. We noticed a Hawk has eyed them up and circles the property a lot so I am afraid to leave them alone.

Bennie kind of gave me the answer I was hoping for, but I like consensus..lol: the littles have been in gen pop for 1 1/2 wks. They still go in their brooder and spend most of time in coop than in the run, and I put their food in the brooder. When I let them out to free range during the day, they stay together and near the elders. The elders for the most part ignore them unless they get under foot, then they give them a peck on the head. -that's usually Mouse. But, I've gone in at night and seen Mouse snuggled up against my big gray cock with her head buried under him (ever had a guinea give you the 🤨 look?). Darndest thing-He's usually the one correcting her, but tolerates the snuggle. Bella2 prefers to just stay out of everyone's way and fluff up her bedding in the brooder.
Do you all agree integration w/flock will go better since they're both females?

Bennie kind of gave me the answer I was hoping for, but I like consensus..lol: the littles have been in gen pop for 1 1/2 wks. They still go in their brooder and spend most of time in coop than in the run, and I put their food in the brooder. When I let them out to free range during the day, they stay together and near the elders. The elders for the most part ignore them unless they get under foot, then they give them a peck on the head. -that's usually Mouse. But, I've gone in at night and seen Mouse snuggled up against my big gray cock with her head buried under him (ever had a guinea give you the 🤨 look?). Darndest thing-He's usually the one correcting her, but tolerates the snuggle. Bella2 prefers to just stay out of everyone's way and fluff up her bedding in the brooder.
Do you all agree integration w/flock will go better since they're both females?
Very nice! Certainly sounds like they are merging well in the “gen pop”! :gig When I go in the coop and turn my light on at night, the adults just peck at any nearby roosting juveniles. Sigh.

I can't kill them either. We put the instigator in a dog crate for a few days and things have calmed down a bit. My husband is building another (small) coop to move the chickens to. Hopefully it will be done this weekend because we can see things picking up slowly. I am hoping they will be happier without the guineas even though their home will be smaller. they will have a decent size run and I usually let them out for and hour or two of supervised time. We noticed a Hawk has eyed them up and circles the property a lot so I am afraid to leave them alone.
It seems to me that the loss of space will be worth the decrease in guinea-induced stress...

I hope that your hawk is migrating and moves on soon! Lots of people having issues with hawks at this time of the year.

Back
Top Bottom