canislupis1

Hatching
Sep 17, 2022
I am new to owning guineas and have a mixed flock with them and chickens. They have been doing great, and are about 2 months old and have been in their coop and outdoor run area for 2 weeks. I live in Iowa, USA. It had been very dry, so the guineas had been sleeping by roosting on the roof of the coop. This morning we got a huge thunderstorm, and I saw that the guineas had not figured out to go back into the coop, nor to even hide under an alcove. They sat at the top of the roof, soaked all the way down to their bones, and I went out in the storm to pick them up and put them back inside. Now they should be able to stay warm and dry, but I had to lock them in the coop so they wouldn’t leave again.

I’m concerned about their health and have a few questions:
- Are the guineas that got soaked at risk for disease, illness, chill, etc? If so, what should I do or keep an eye out for?
- Since my guineas are only 2 months and not truly full grown, is the rain more of a concern?
- When my guineas are full grown, will they continue to get soaked and will that be a problem?

Thanks for any advice on this topic. I just want the little dummies to stay healthy! The chickens hid from the rain successfully, just not the guineas.

- Are the guineas that got soaked at risk for disease, illness, chill, etc? If so, what should I do or keep an eye out for?
- Since my guineas are only 2 months and not truly full grown, is the rain more of a concern?
- When my guineas are full grown, will they continue to get soaked and will that be a problem?
They should not be at risk from disease because of getting soaked.

Getting soaked at 2 months old is more of a concern than it is for adults.

When they are full grown they will continue to get soaked when they spend time in the rain.

I am new to owning guineas and have a mixed flock with them and chickens. They have been doing great, and are about 2 months old and have been in their coop and outdoor run area for 2 weeks. I live in Iowa, USA. It had been very dry, so the guineas had been sleeping by roosting on the roof of the coop. This morning we got a huge thunderstorm, and I saw that the guineas had not figured out to go back into the coop, nor to even hide under an alcove. They sat at the top of the roof, soaked all the way down to their bones, and I went out in the storm to pick them up and put them back inside. Now they should be able to stay warm and dry, but I had to lock them in the coop so they wouldn’t leave again.

Thanks for any advice on this topic. I just want the little dummies to stay healthy! The chickens hid from the rain successfully, just not the guineas.
Hi CanisLupis and welcome to BYCs!!! :welcome

You said that the guineas roost on your coop, but that does not sound secure. You need to teach them to roost where they will be protected from the elements and predators. Is there a place inside the coop where they can roost?

Back
Top Bottom