Guineas vs Coyotes

bluebellknapp

Chirping
9 Years
May 17, 2014
I just witnessed something amazing. I heard loud raucous calls from my flock of Guinea Hens. I raced to the window and saw them surrounding a young coyote and herding it toward the river. They chased it across the river and stayed on the bank screaming at it for a long time. By that time I had put my shoes on and made it outside to watch the finale. The Guineas welcomed me to watch their victory then calmly walked back to join the chickens and ducks they had just protected. I have seen them yell at hawks before, but this was the first time I'd ever seen them surround a coyote and make it leave. It was just awe-inspiring.

Wow, so cool! How many guineas were screaming at the coyote?
I have a dozen guineas, of all different colors, about 30 chickens of all different breeds, and 2 Harlequin ducks. In the chicken mix, I have at least 5 roosters--more than I bargained for. I'll probably have to get rid of some of them in the spring.

Arent guineas awesome!
We had an exprience similar to yours with a group of about 7 adult guineas that were co-rIsing some about 3 wee old keets.
My husband heard a loud comotion out the back of the house in a stand of blue spruces that were trimmed up about 10 feet so he had a good view. There was the coyote with his ears pinned back as the loud racket from the group of guineas hurt his ears. He would advance a few steps and then retreat, the guineas moving with him. He seemed quite confused by these strange creatures. This gave my husband time to get the rifle and dispatch the coyote.
Also wittnesed one male guinea fly up in the air and meet a redtail hawk that was swooping though.
Love my guineas!

Back
Top Bottom