GUINEAS

Scratch is a treat, not a complete feed. Scratch only has 6 to 8% protein and all poultry need a minimum of 16% or more. Ask at the feed store where you get the scratch about a complete feed such as game bird or meat bird food. At their age chicken layer feed wouldn't be the best for them but it's better than just scratch. And guineas need grass to keep their digestive system working properly.

Personally I think it is wrong to keep guineas caged. They should at least have 10 square feet of covered run per bird. Once they have accepted your home as their home, usually at least a month of confinement, you might try letting a few of them out to free range. Always making sure they are confined at night!

Scratch is a treat, not a complete feed. Scratch only has 6 to 8% protein and all poultry need a minimum of 16% or more. Ask at the feed store where you get the scratch about a complete feed such as game bird or meat bird food. At their age chicken layer feed wouldn't be the best for them but it's better than just scratch. And guineas need grass to keep their digestive system working properly.

Personally I think it is wrong to keep guineas caged. They should at least have 10 square feet of covered run per bird. Once they have accepted your home as their home, usually at least a month of confinement, you might try letting a few of them out to free range. Always making sure they are confined at night!

Should I be feeding them more than scratch and oyster shell during laying. (she just started laying about a month ago) I was just watching some UTUBE videos on them and am wondering if there is anyway I can get them all in 1 cage with introducing slowly. The oldest ones are about 8yrs old and the younger one 6or 7yrs old. Or do you think they are too old now. He started keeping them caged all the time as he lost half of them to something. Never told me what he thought it was. They used to free range during the day and stay in their coops/runs at night. I'm afraid to let them out again as I don't want to lose any.
Scratch is not an acceptable feed for anything. It is low in protein and high in fat and should be only used as a treat. Since those guineas are caged and cannot supplement their diet, they are very likely not really healthy.

My guineas get 20% protein layer pellets along with being free ranged from morning to evening. They also have free choice oyster shell available.

I have no idea what size cage you are talking about but suspect that there is insufficient room in the "cage" to stick them all together. Guineas will not do well caged. They need lots of room. I recommend an absolute minimum of 4 sq. ft. of clear floor space per guinea in a coop and much much more than that for a run attached to the coop. If you get an area of sufficient size, the guineas may learn to get along with each other but it will take time and lots of fights as they establish their pecking order.

Back
Top Bottom