GUINEAS

First batch of chickens hatching should be another week until guineas start hatching.

94A66718-C86C-463F-9A55-3AD52FED5C62.jpeg
76B5721A-346A-4053-BFA8-503809AB3D45.jpeg

Correct. Feel free to ask us questions as your incubation progresses. Both @R2elk and I have hatched a LOT of guineas! We want you to be successful in your new endeavor. ;)
Hope I am posting in the right place. I am new to all this. My Dad passed and left me 4 guineas. I have 2 pens (as he said they didn't get along) with 2 in each pen. Only 1 that I can tell lays an egg every couple of days so I am assuming the other is a male. The one who does not lay seems so be the noisiest of the 2. (the other pen seems 2 have 2 males, no eggs ever that I have found)
I have a still incubator and a flat turner. Can you tell me what to do if I want to try and hatch the egg or eggs? Should I start a seperate thread on this also?

Hope I am posting in the right place. I am new to all this. My Dad passed and left me 4 guineas. I have 2 pens (as he said they didn't get along) with 2 in each pen. Only 1 that I can tell lays an egg every couple of days so I am assuming the other is a male. The one who does not lay seems so be the noisiest of the 2. (the other pen seems 2 have 2 males, no eggs ever that I have found)
I have a still incubator and a flat turner. Can you tell me what to do if I want to try and hatch the egg or eggs? Should I start a seperate thread on this also?

You can find a lot of information about hatching here and we'll be glad to help you thru the process!
If you hear one of the guineas making a 'buckwheat' sound then that guinea is female. It sounds like she is saying 'gobackgobackgoback' A male cannot make that sound. She will make that sound whether she is laying or not. Hope this helps you to know what you have. ;)

And welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us :frow

I have a still incubator and a flat turner. Can you tell me what to do if I want to try and hatch the egg or eggs? Should I start a separate thread on this also?
Read Hatching Eggs 101 by @Sally Sunshine
It has sections on everything you need to know about hatching from egg collection and storage to the actual incubation and hatching.

You can find a lot of information about hatching here and we'll be glad to help you thru the process!
If you hear one of the guineas making a 'buckwheat' sound then that guinea is female. It sounds like she is saying 'gobackgobackgoback' A male cannot make that sound. She will make that sound whether she is laying or not. Hope this helps you to know what you have. ;)

Thanks, me to. So what sound does the male make?? any at all??

I will look into that site. Dad never had any luck with incubation and hatching as hard as he tried
Failure to hatch can be due to lots and lots of variables from as simple as the nutrition the adults receive to believing uncalibrated thermometers and hygrometers. El cheapo incubators aren't worth the money it costs to dispose of them.

Failure to hatch can be due to lots and lots of variables from as simple as the nutrition the adults receive to believing uncalibrated thermometers and hygrometers. El cheapo incubators aren't worth the money it costs to dispose of them.
Should I be feeding them more than scratch and oyster shell during laying. (she just started laying about a month ago) I was just watching some UTUBE videos on them and am wondering if there is anyway I can get them all in 1 cage with introducing slowly. The oldest ones are about 8yrs old and the younger one 6or 7yrs old. Or do you think they are too old now. He started keeping them caged all the time as he lost half of them to something. Never told me what he thought it was. They used to free range during the day and stay in their coops/runs at night. I'm afraid to let them out again as I don't want to lose any.

Back
Top Bottom