Guineas

sargent spurs

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 24, 2011
VA
We have a big problem with fleas and I have read that Guineas eat them so I am going to get some, but l would like to know a little more about them, and know where to get some.

I've read that guineas like most bugs. Spent a lot of time reading everything I could find on them and I don't remember anything specifically mentioning fleas. I know they instinctively go after ticks and they like more protein in their diet than a chicken. I think I read that they like a 95% protein diet on one site but I might be wrong, thats a lot of protein.

They eat everything except fire ants. Don't know why they don't mess with them, but they don't. They will take the fleas, ticks, wasps, flies, mosquitos, etc. They are better than bug strips.

I have eleven guineas that are lavender, royal purple and pearl gray. They are four weeks old. Just took them out of the brooder box yesterday and put them in a make-shift kennel with a roost. Will leave them in it for four more weeks. (they grow a lot faster than chickens)

You must get them as chics as they are home-bound. If you get an adult and let them loose, they will leave. But know that once you get them, they will most always stay there. So if you plan on selling your house in 3 years, make sure the new owners want guineas. lol

Predator here (I'm in East Tennessee) is the hawk. So we have to keep them covered. Plus, they love to fly. I see my chickens watching them trying to figure it out.

Back
Top Bottom