guinna roo? guinna hen? who do you tell

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by sundance, Sep 17, 2008.

1. How do you know which is your roos and at what age do they start laying?My GS has10 guinnas , free ranging and they keep asking me when will they start laying and which is the roo? all I can say is I DON'T KNOW Please help. marrie

2. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    The differences can be pretty subtle. Males tend to be a bit larger, their helmet [bump on top of their head] is larger, their wattles are larger & should be cupped forward. Also there's a difference in the sound they make. The females make a sound that some people hear as BUCK-WHEAT. The males just sort of squawk.
    As to at what age they lay I'm not really sure but if they free range they may be laying already-they like to hide their nests.

3. feathersgalore

feathersgalore Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Central Ohio
    Guineas are seasonal layers (spring through fall). Depending on their age, they might not start laying until next spring.

4. newfowl lady

newfowl lady Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2008
    hanover
    Look for the bustle on the top of the rump. That is a hen. The noise for sure.... The boys are annoying as anything. Hens can have just as big of waddles. I love the hen sounds.... [​IMG][​IMG]

5. feathersgalore

feathersgalore Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Central Ohio
    During the breeding season, male guineas generally hold their wings higher. They are also the ones running around chasing each other while the females go about eating bugs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by