Gun enthusiasts anything from Hunting to target shooters.

Yall. The will for an animal to live!! Just drilled another fox tonite. 17hmr. 46 yards away. i knew it was a bad shot but it was quartering ans walking fast away. It flipped soon as i shot.. death rolled and left. By the time i got outside it made it almost 100:yds down field /wood line right inside. Was basically crawling. At about 10 ft away i touched the trigger Rite behind ear And split the eyeballs. The big red “H” dont play. When i picked it up almost all its guts fell out. ive seen some wicked wills to live hear late!!
It's amazing the strength of some critters.

I put 400rds through the CZ 457 this morning. I'm trying to figure out which ammo it likes best. I tested 8 different kinds of 22lr ammo at 50yds. I started by pulling a bore snake (without the brush) through the barrel. Then I shot 20 foulers, followed by six 5-shot groups. After that, I removed the suppressor, pulled the bore snake again, reinstalled the suppressor, and repeated the test with the next box of ammo. I used the best 5 of 6 groups when calculating the average group size. There was a slight breeze today but I'm very happy with the results.

SK pistol match shot the best with a .46" average group size (sub MOA) out of five 5-shot groups. My best 5 shot group was .20" but I shot a .43" group where 4 of the 5 shots went in the same hole (.05" 4-shot group), that was impressive for a factory barrel.

CCI standard velocity is pretty much the gold standard for high quality, bulk priced ammo. It did well but the Norma Tac-22 did better and is only 10 cents more per box. Just ordered several bricks of it. Ordered some more SK pistol and CCI standard too. I'm actually happy my barrel didn't like Eley Match. At $23 a box (50rds), it kind defeats the purpose of "plinking", lol. Norma seems to be the best value/accuracy compromise at $4 a box. I will be picking up a few more boxes of Eley subsonic hollow points when I find some in stock. They are $10 a box but will be a better choice for hunting, especially for "larger" game.

They had a metal silhouette target set up at 300yds and I was able to hit it around 50% of the time (after doping the scope) with a few rounds of bulk ammo I had left. Next time I go I will be shooting at 100, 200, and 300yds with Norma, CCI, and SK. I'm going to repeat this test on my 10/22 too. Shooting suppressed subsonic 22lr is a blast!!!

20230510_140347.jpg

20230510_140338.jpg

Last edited:
I've put about a thousand more rounds through the CZ in the last couple weeks. I took my parents today and let them try it out. I was going to keep the suppressor a secret until it gets out of jail, but I couldn't wait that long so I let them shoot it.

I set up a 12" plate at 300yds and my mom went 5 for 5 on it once, and 4/5 at least a half a dozen times. My best run was 19/20. The wind has a big affect on 22lr at that distance, luckily it was pretty light today. My dad did good also. I had a 4" plate at 100 but that proved to be a little too easy, will use a 2" or 3" next time. I had a 6" plate at 200 and they hit it ~80% of the time, as long as the wind stayed consistent.

They had a blast and couldn't believe how quiet suppressed subsonic 22lr is (about as quiet as a dry fire). They own 16 acres and we have shot there a few times but they don't want to annoy the neighbors by shooting a lot. After today, my dad wants to setup a 200yd range full of steel targets. That's good because I already bought several targets for them, lol. I'm going to give them a suppressor so they'll be able to shoot as much as they want without making a bunch of noise.

I'm going to get another 22 bolt gun with a threaded barrel before the end of the year and set it up for them to use at their place. I've narrowed it down to a Browning T-bolt, a Tika T1x, or another CZ 457. Probably going to be a T-bolt or a 457. The straight pull, t-bolt action is so cool. I'm just not sure how accurate or ammo picky it will be. What's nice about the CZ is there's so much aftermarket support. If it doesn't shoot great I can pick from a dozen different barrels to swap out. Not as much support for the T-bolt, but it sure is a neat gun. Decisions, decisions....

20230518_145137.jpg

Last edited:
I've put about a thousand more rounds through the CZ in the last couple weeks. I took my parents today and let them try it out. I was going to keep the suppressor a secret until it gets out of jail, but I couldn't wait that long so I let them shoot it.

I set up a 12" plate at 300yds and my mom went 5 for 5 on it once, and 4/5 at least a half a dozen times. My best run was 19/20. The wind has a big affect on 22lr at that distance, luckily it was pretty light today. My dad did good also. I had a 4" plate at 100 but that proved to be a little too easy, will use a 2" or 3" next time. I had a 6" plate at 200 and they hit it ~80% of the time, as long as the wind stayed consistent.

They had a blast and couldn't believe how quiet suppressed subsonic 22lr is (about as quiet as a dry fire). They own 16 acres and we have shot there a few times but they don't want to annoy the neighbors by shooting a lot. After today, my dad wants to setup a 200yd range full of steel targets. That's good because I already bought several targets for them, lol. I'm going to give them a suppressor so they'll be able to shoot as much as they want without making a bunch of noise.

I'm going to get another 22 bolt gun with a threaded barrel before the end of the year and set it up for them to use at their place. I've narrowed it down to a Browning T-bolt, a Tika T1x, or another CZ 457. Probably going to be a T-bolt or a 457. The straight pull, t-bolt action is so cool. I'm just not sure how accurate or ammo picky it will be. What's nice about the CZ is there's so much aftermarket support. If it doesn't shoot great I can pick from a dozen different barrels to swap out. Not as much support for the T-bolt, but it sure is a neat gun. Decisions, decisions....

View attachment 3523342
Sounds like (not) a blast!

We have 12 acres and none of the neighbors mind me shooting. Even hypersonic .22 is very quiet. One summer I did a lot of testing with a 25/06. Well over 1,000 rounds! 🤣

This is what I have for .22's. When I shoot centre fire, or pattern a shotgun, I take the 3 spinners out of the center and put up paper targets.
IMG_20150424_113540.jpg
IMG_20150424_113654.jpg

Sounds like (not) a blast!

We have 12 acres and none of the neighbors mind me shooting. Even hypersonic .22 is very quiet. One summer I did a lot of testing with a 25/06. Well over 1,000 rounds! 🤣

This is what I have for .22's. When I shoot centre fire, or pattern a shotgun, I take the 3 spinners out of the center and put up paper targets.View attachment 3523572View attachment 3523573
Awesome setup! Nice backstop too...

Their range will mostly consist of a few different size plates I'm going to hang from "Shepards hook" plant holders at random distances.

I just bought this 4-3-2" swinger the other day. I'm going to set it up across their pond which is ~120yds from their back porch.

20230523_153648.jpg

I will likely get a KYL (know your limits) stand in the future. It has 8 swingers, from 2" down to .25". That would be fun to shoot from ~50yds.

22-kyl-targets-700x700.jpg

They care more about the noise than the neighbors do, I'm sure. They just bought their property to have a nice, secluded place to retire. They didn't really want it to sound like a shooting range. But he said they will likely go broke shooting now, lol. Be asking for bricks of 22 for Christmas, lol...

You obviously know but for anyone else, shooting steel is WAY more fun than shooting paper. I've been shooting steel for about 4 years now and it's been great. Who knew how much the feedback from the sound and swinging of the target adds to the overall experience. You just need to buy hardened steel made for shooting (AR500) and be sure to wear eye protection, especially if you are shooting at close range. I mostly shot 66% IPSC targets from 10-40yds with 22, 9mm, and 45 cal handguns but I've recently been shooting round plates at longer distances with rifles. Great fun!

Last edited:
I found a new favorite website to buy ammo from called aeammo.com. They have a good selection, great prices, and ship quick.

I'm about to place my 3rd order with these guys. They have CCI standard velocity 40gr 22lr for $3.63 per box. $12 shipping, no tax, and free shipping over $250. The free shipping and no tax makes their prices some of the best around...

I also recommend using ammoseek.com. It searches the internet for the best prices on ammo and it gives a rating for each website and rating on their shipping prices. That's how I found aeammo.

I've had so much fun shooting long range 22, it's got me wanting to buy/build my first "long range" centerfire rifle so I can step it out to 1000+ yds. As much as I've hated 6.5 creedmoor (due to the hype and fanboys), I will probably end up with one :oops: . I would rather go with a 6.5 PRC for better performance but the 6.5 CM ammo is cheaper and readily available everywhere. I will be reloading but I would like access to factory ammo for when I bring friends to shoot. I have a 16" 308 that I thought about having rebarreled, but I think I would go with a 24" Howa barreled action instead and keep the 308 as is.

Anyway, if yall need some ammo, go check out aeammo.com...

Last edited:
Shot a turkey last April...
And it's quite the story..
So I wanted to go hunting with my uncle on my birthday, so we got all set up in the woods, camo, decoys, chairs, everything... And what did we see?
We seen a female walk by about sixty yards away..
The next day, we tried another spot, which just so happened to be exactly under the spot that the gobblers roost... So what we came to sit in our setup, they all flew away..
A week or so later, we decided to set up on my uncle's side porch..
No decoys, just a blind and a chair, and he called from the front porch.
Well, we seen a female take a dust bath and walk by, and then..
The moment we've all been waiting for...
I seen the big dawg!
I saw him a-struttin down the road, and as soon as he saw the lady, he turned off the road and started a-struttin down towards her, so as soon as he turned the corner, I blasted him at 58 yards with a Smith and Wesson 12 gauge semiautomatic shotgun.
Resized_20230412_164815.jpeg

The "hunting stand"

Resized_20230412_173304.jpeg

Thankin the Lord for the food He provided

I found a new favorite website to buy ammo from called aeammo.com. They have a good selection, great prices, and ship quick.

I'm about to place my 3rd order with these guys. They have CCI standard velocity 40gr 22lr for $3.63 per box. $12 shipping, no tax, and free shipping over $250. The free shipping and no tax makes their prices some of the best around...

I also recommend using ammoseek.com. It searches the internet for the best prices on ammo and it gives a rating for each website and rating on their shipping prices. That's how I found aeammo.

I've had so much fun shooting long range 22, it's got me wanting to buy/build my first "long range" centerfire rifle so I can step it out to 1000+ yds. As much as I've hated 6.5 creedmoor (due to the hype and fanboys), I will probably end up with one :oops: . I would rather go with a 6.5 PRC for better performance but the 6.5 CM ammo is cheaper and readily available everywhere. I will be reloading but I would like access to factory ammo for when I bring friends to shoot. I have a 16" 308 that I thought about having rebarreled, but I think I would go with a 24" Howa barreled action instead and keep the 308 as is.

Anyway, if yall need some ammo, go check out aeammo.com...
Unfortunately, I live in NY. Most places will not ship to NY, and the couple that do will only ship to a FFL, and that adds another $25-50 to the cost.

I have a H&R pardner, maybe it's a topper, ? .410 knocked tons of stuff down yrs ago with it, squirrels, rabbits, grouse, (turkeys :oops:) knock a squirrel out of the tree at 50 yrds, little shell but you wouldn't want to be any closer or with the full choke it'd be peppered.
Have .10 gauge H&R also with a full choke turkey gun, surprised it doesn't kick, heavy barrel and a solid chunk of steel fits right in the hole in the stock.
I know many that have scored with one of them 12 or 20 gauge on deer, but I wouldn't recommend it. Foster slugs are made for smooth bore fit tight and spin good and I use them in my smooth bore pump slug guns. H&R/ New England firearms make some nice fully rifled heavy bull barreled rifle sight equipped ready for a scope barrels that saboted slugs are deadly. And screw in extensions for the thumb hammer, makes it much easier to cock.
I also have an H&R .410 in 2,5 chambering Topper that I got for Christmas in 1959 when I was 8. Many a squirrel and bunny fell to this piece. The surprising thing is how well it shoots rifled slugs (not for deer). Still use it for back yard trap shooting.

Unfortunately, I live in NY. Most places will not ship to NY, and the couple that do will only ship to a FFL, and that adds another $25-50 to the cost.
That is unfortunate. :( I never paid attention, but It actually says that at the top of their website.

You would need to buy a large quantity to make it worth paying the transfer fee...

Screenshot_20230623_132505_Chrome.jpg

Back
Top Bottom