Gun Owners and Non-Gun Owners should come to a Meeting of the Minds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
gig.gif
'spritzes of lavender'

I am not trying to name call. I am just lending the 'I was raised in suburbia by gun-hating parents and these are the views I grew up with' voice in this discussion. To me, it sounds like, for the most part, that most on this thread are for gun ownership - I am as well. However, the original poster is suggesting that we need to come 'to a meeting of the minds' - the stereotype that I paint is what those pro gun control think of when they hear 'I like guns'. Despite the fact that I have spent the last 3 years of my life with a man who has shown me the fun, sport side of guns, I can't help but hear my mother's opinion when some one says they have a right to own an AK-47 because it's in the 2nd amendment.

To me, this is the biggest hurdle to own guns - the sheeple who see guns as I was raised to see guns need to be shown that they can be owned responsibly. Unfortunately stories like:

"Jonny took his concealed weapon into the super market today. He purchased some cereal, an apple, and a watermelon for his chickens. He left the supermarket without incident and drove the speed limit the whole way home"

are not what makes the news! So, I grew up with fear mongering parents and a fear mongering media (Plaxico Burress shooting himself in the foot, Tupac being murdered, crazy ex husbands murdering their ex wife's new family, etc). While it is the incorrect solution, the first one that comes to mind is 'lets just get rid of all the guns!' I understand that illegal guns cause most of these problems, but the sheeple don't know that.

Soooo.....how do we get sheeple to think people kill people, not guns kill people?

Quote:
Based on accounts from The Armed Citizen, the mere sight of the gun scares the criminal off - if this is enough, it's really that necessary to have it loaded 'just in case'?

If a criminal isn't scared off, and you have an unloaded gun...

then what? Are you going to throw it at them?

lau.gif
you're right....I suppose that wouldn't work...I just feel weird knowing that there's a loaded gun with me all the time - whether it's on my husband or on me.

I do believe that part of my problem in understanding that I have a hard time thinking that some one would come up and steal my children in broad daylight (at night I would feel different).

Quote:
If you don't have something to add don't say it. As I understood it, the purpose of this thread was to discuss folks on opposite sides of the fence coming to some sort of an agreement or happy medium. I understand if you think my concerns aren't valid, however, these are the same concerns other folks have that want to take away your right to own a gun. Simply saying 'it's my right' isn't good enough when you're talking about 'the equalizer'.

Heelers&Chickens_OhMy :

Quote:
If you don't have something to add don't say it. As I understood it, the purpose of this thread was to discuss folks on opposite sides of the fence coming to some sort of an agreement or happy medium. I understand if you think my concerns aren't valid, however, these are the same concerns other folks have that want to take away your right to own a gun. Simply saying 'it's my right' isn't good enough when you're talking about 'the equalizer'.

You are making snide comments referring to some my posts. Why dont you take your OWN advice, please? then we will have no problems. peace?
Also,...you're calling people stupid..redneck..etc.. because of their gun carrying beliefs. Think about it. It seems to be trolling..
I'm not responding to you again..​

Last edited:
Several yers ago here in Texas, a gunman walked into a cafeteria and started shooting patrons. A lady that later became one of our senators, reached for her purse where she normally carried her concealed weapon, only to remember she had removed it in her car. The sign on the door said no weapons allowed. She sat helplessly as the maniac killed her father and approximatly 20 other people. I guess he didn't see the sign, or maybe criminals don't pay attention to laws. Gun education is so important for anyone. My kids were raised around guns, and know how to safely handle them. An unloaded gun is as useful as that hammer someone mentioned without nails to build with. It is a tool , and with the proper education and common sense, is no danger to anyone.

This thread has lasted longer than I thought it would, but I sense it going downhill fast. This is just too controversial of a subject to go very long. So if you will excuse me, I will get my light and my rifle and go outside on coon patrol. It's about time for the little devils to start looking for supper.

As I understood it, the purpose of this thread was to discuss folks on opposite sides of the fence coming to some sort of an agreement or happy medium. I understand if you think my concerns aren't valid, however, these are the same concerns other folks have that want to take away your right to own a gun. Simply saying 'it's my right' isn't good enough when you're talking about 'the equalizer'.

There can be no "happy medium" as long as the anti gun people REFUSE to be logical

You may be playing Devil's Advocate, but when someone tells you they carry a gun everywhere they go, and you reply "I hope it's not loaded" , it simply shows you have a totally unrealistic view of the world.

Why would anyone TRY to reason with someone who shows no reason of their own?
When you make decisions based on emotion instead of logic, it's a sign of immaturity

We dont OWE anyone ANY explanations at all.

I find it ironic that all those who say they "dont need a gun" will, in an emergency, dial 911 and WAIT for someone WITH A GUN to come save them​

Just so you don't feel alone in a potentially hostile environment (though amazingly non-hostile considering the touchy topic), I wholly agree with you!! Guns are not banned in Canada, but they are more regulated than they are in the U.S. and their annual gun death rate is MUCH lower than it is in the U.S., yet there are many, many gun owners in Canada. (a number of Canada's gun-related fatalities are related to guns that cross the boarder from the U.S.)

It's not the people who are proud of and respect their rights and HUGE responsibilities as gun owners that worry me. It's the mentally unstable people who steal their father's/neighbor's guns and shoot up their local school or shopping mall that scare me. (Note; I said the people and not the guns themselves scare me!)

Most of the gun related murders in Canada where done with hunting rifles that were registered. There still is allot of illegal (not registered) guns floating around.

The neighborhood I live in is rural, most people don't lock their houses and almost everybody has a shotgun or rifle for livestock protection. We have one Conservation Officer for a very large area, so waiting for him to come is not a option if there is a predator problem.
Most people I know don't fear for their personal safety or worry about being robbed.
Its a bit more relaxed north of the border but then again there isn't as many people. Now the big cities are a little different.

If somebody in Canada gets caught with a concealed un-registered handgun. BIG trouble
big_smile.png

Different countries, different laws most gun owners I know feel the Canadian Gun Registry law is a cash cow but they don't feel restricted in anyway.
If the gun is registered and stolen, then used in a shooting. Does it matter where the gun came from? not really.
All guns in Canada, when not in use, are supposed to have trigger locks on them, which I think is great especially if you have little children and they are supposed to be in a locked cabinet. The bullets are not to be locked in with the guns, they are to be kept separate.

I understood the registration information is for the Police so if there is a incident they know if there are guns in the house or not.
Not many people are turned down from owning a gun, more should be. Its not a gun restriction but a gun registry.

I didn't mean to offend anybody but I was curious as to why people (other than a Cop) carry a weapon, it had nothing to do with constitutional rights.

Heelers&Chickens_OhMy :

Quote:
If a criminal isn't scared off, and you have an unloaded gun...

then what? Are you going to throw it at them?

lau.gif
you're right....I suppose that wouldn't work...I just feel weird knowing that there's a loaded gun with me all the time - whether it's on my husband or on me.

I do believe that part of my problem in understanding that I have a hard time thinking that some one would come up and steal my children in broad daylight (at night I would feel different).​

1. A man in Wal-Mart was stroking my 9-year-old son's hair, in broad daylight.

2. A homeless man asked me for some change outside a grocery store. I shook my head 'no' and loaded the groceries and he became irate, yelling about how angry some people make him, and how stuck-up some people are. I had three kids with me, two in car seats. My oldest was smart enough to get the little ones in fast. This was the middle of the day, in a public parking lot.

3. A man asked a woman for money in a different grocery store parking lot. She said no. He moved her cart to block her from opening her car door. My husband was parked next to her and saw this happen. He asked her if she needed help unloading groceries and he grabbed the cart from the wack-job, and wack-job left. You guessed it. Broad daylight.

I want a concealed carry permit because I want to protect my kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom