Gun Owners and Non-Gun Owners should come to a Meeting of the Minds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Well what if you don't believe in God? Hikerchick is right. About the only right you have as a human is to breathe and go to the bathroom. All other rights are bestowed upon you based on where you are born. Not all cultures give equal rights to everybody. You sure weren't born with the right to own guns. Yes the government does give or take away rights. That's why you guys are making the ammo manufacturers rich. You think the new sheriff is going to take away your gun ownership rights. I sure do wish my worries were so baseless.

I think we should all have the right to own guns. I also think that we should all be held accountable for our guns too. I wanted to buy a small shotgun for varmints but all the paranoid gun owners have driven prices up too much.

The term God-given simply means something that was bestowed at birth, something you didn't do for yourself. Whatever, maybe I should have said "natural" or something, but it means the same thing.

Even if you dont believe in God, dont you believe everyone has rights? It doesnt have anything to do with what someone can physically take from you.

If I wanted to, I could take away your right to breath and go to the bathroom too. A right is something you have because you are a person, you have a RIGHT to be alive, and with that comes the RIGHT to stay alive. It is really very simple.

YES rights can be taken away. But they are STILL RIGHTS. Even if someone is murdered, it does not take away the fact that they still had the RIGHT to live.

Edited because I cant type very well....
lol.png

I'd like to add here a quick note
I cant remember who said it as this topic has gotten quite long , but did see with regards to the
It's our right deal
Some one was mentioning not all people are born with the same rights as we are here in the states, or something to that extent.
BULL!
Every human being in the world is, the difference is that their individual government beat them down, repress then, and more less take away their , yes, God given rights.
The basis of this discussion is that we dont want that to start here in our country. Unfortunately with our new dictator, I'm sorry I mean "president" (term used very loosely) It's seems to be accelerating.
If you dont like it, you dont have to own a gun, if you dont like smoking, dont smoke, If you want to speak out about something, do it, etc.
But dont tell me, because you either dont like something that I do, or you dont understand it, that it should be banned, or I might just start a rally to remove your freedom of speech!!

Last edited:
Quote:
You're joking, right? Just because military service is not your cup of tea, would you seriously deny every other woman in American the right to make that choice for herself? Remember, now, that we have an all volunteer military. Nobody serves who does not choose to serve. You surely cannot mean that someone should not be allowed to serve her country just because of which genitalia she was born with!

Same thing goes for combat. It's no different than wanting to be a cop. Thousands of women serve their communities as cops. They risk their lives every day to protect their families and friends from harm. So why should a woman not be allowed to choose a combat role in the military and serve her entire country the way she serves her own community?

Heck, I'm a guy and even *I* can see how chauvinistic your statement is.

I think that what you are really saying is that the idea of military service scares you. Nothing wrong with that. But it does not automatically follow that it scares ALL women or we would not have so many female cops patrolling our streets. I'll bet if you think about it, you'll see the logic of this. Women should be shown the same respect for their desire to serve as guys are and be allowed to choose for themselves if they will serve.

Rusty

Have you been in combat?

I see very little similarity between a female cop and a woman in direct combat.

I retired from the Corps in 1993.

The most highly-skilled Marine I ever served with was GSarg Sedona Mendez. She was tiny and weighed MAYBE 100 lbs. She was a hand-to-hand combat instructor. I have seen her put an entire SQUAD of recruits on their asses, so please do not try to tell me that a woman cannot fight if that is the career path she chooses for herself. That is the nice part about an all-volunteer force--nobody says you HAVE to serve but if you have the grit, you get to try.

Rusty

Last edited:
Quote:
That is hardly fair.

No, no, that's plenty fair.

Men have BEEN in combat. They know. They know we shouldn't be there. It doesn't have anything to do with 'fair'. Now if an all-girl platoon wants to go fight some other countries all-girl platoon, have at it.
(I'm talking about in the trenches fighting, not submarines and bombers and whatnot.)

It's not fair to the men. Why should they be the only ones responsible for defending us? It isn't right.

I don't think anyone should have to go to war, male or female; but if we are going to fight a war, why should only men fight?

Quote:
I was the one who said that your "rights" depend on where you happen to have been born. I never said anything about not wanting you to have a gun. I never said I don't like it.

I merely pointed out the obvious. People don't have the same rights everywhere.

"The law of nature, all men are born free, every one comes into the world with a right to his own person, which includes the liberty of moving and using it at his own will. This is what is called personal liberty, and is given him by the Author of nature, because necessary for his own sustenance." --Thomas Jefferson: Legal Argument, 1770. FE 1:376

"Those who hammer their guns into plow's, will be plowing for those who didn't"
............B. Franklin

Men have BEEN in combat. They know. They know we shouldn't be there. It doesn't have anything to do with 'fair'.

Yes, I have been in combat, but I don't agree with you. While I was serving I heard way more than one female say basically the same thing..."When they invent a bullet that only hits combatants and not women and children, then I'll quit. But as long as women and children are bleeding and dying, I need to be here." Now that is just a paraphrase, but it is a sentiment I heard over and over, and one that I can respect. I also heard a lot of "It's MY country too and I need to be here."

I would no more exclude women from combat than I would exclude blacks, Hispanics, pagans, or gays. If you are an American citizen, then this is your country too, and you have a RIGHT to protect it. (Military service can also be a pretty good path to citizenship for those who want to become citizens.)

Rusty​

Last edited:
0n a lighter note:

Are you a Democrat,

a Republican, or a Redneck?

Here is a little test that will help you decide.

You're walking down a

deserted street with your wife
and two small children.

Suddenly, an
Terrorist with a huge knife
comes around the corner, locks eyes with you,
screams obscenities, raises the knife, and charges at you.

You are carrying a Kimber 1911 45 cal. ACP,

and you are an expert shot.

You have mere seconds before he reaches

you and your family..

What do you do?

THINK CAREFULLY AND
THEN SCROLL DOWN:

Democrat's
Answer :

Well, that's not enough information to answer the question!
Does the man look poor or oppressed?
Have I ever done anything to him that would inspire him to attack?
Could we run away?
What does my wife think?
What about the kids?
Could I possibly swing the gun like a club and knock the knife out of his hand?
What does the law say about this situation?
Does the pistol have appropriate safety built into it?
Why am I carrying a loaded gun anyway, and what kind of message does this send to society and to my children?
Is it possible he'd be happy with just killing me?
Does he definitely want to kill me, or would he be content just to wound me?
If I were to grab his knees and hold on, could my
family get away while he was stabbing me?
Should I call 9-1-1?
Why is this street so deserted?
We need to raise taxes, have paint and weed day and make this happier, healthier street that would discourage such behavior.
This is all so confusing!
I need to debate this with some friends for few days and try to come to a consensus.

Republican's
Answer:

BANG!

Redneck's Answer:

BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG !
Click..... (Sounds of reloading)
BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG!
Click
Daughter: 'Nice grouping, Daddy! Were those the
Winchester Silver Tips or Hollow Points?'
Son: 'Can I shoot the next one?'
Wife: 'You ain't taking that to the Taxidermist.

i think i am a redneck

Actually gun ownership and the belief in gun rights crosses all political lines. There are quite a few good Democrats in this country who believe in the RKBA, thankfully, or we would have lost that right long ago. It's more of a liberal/conservative issues - and not all Democrats are liberals.

Quote:
No, no, that's plenty fair.

Men have BEEN in combat. They know. They know we shouldn't be there. It doesn't have anything to do with 'fair'. Now if an all-girl platoon wants to go fight some other countries all-girl platoon, have at it.
(I'm talking about in the trenches fighting, not submarines and bombers and whatnot.)

It's not fair to the men. Why should they be the only ones responsible for defending us? It isn't right.

I don't think anyone should have to go to war, male or female; but if we are going to fight a war, why should only men fight?

because in my opinion, its the mans god given responsibility, at home or otherwise.
and as for going to war....it seems like a lot of people have a skewed idea of what the military is for these days..its not for free college, or excitement..its to defend your country. that is why we have all these people crying about their relatives having to go to war and how they didnt know it would be like that when they enlisted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom