Gun recommendations?

"What's the best gun" is something like" what's the best food" or "what's the best tool."

For an accurate, inexpensive rifle with enough power to kill predator-sized game cleanly, and with little noise and no recoil, I'd recommend a .17 HMR. It has the same powder capacity as a .22 magnum, but will push a bullet at 2550 feet per second. The light (17 grain) bullets are frangible so there is very little ricochet risk and they don't over penetrate. The Savage model 93, with a 2 or 4 power scope would be ideal.
I agree the .17 HMR is a good round. The negatives I see are the light bullet doesn't buck wind very well on long shots, and the ammo is somewhat more expensive than .22 magnum. The ones I've fired were very accurate.....

"What's the best gun" is something like" what's the best food" or "what's the best tool."
. Hey grey fox, I'm not looking for the "best" gun, especially as that is indeed all relative. I am just interested to hear what people are finding they like and use, and why.

As for specifics, I can't give them until I have a farm myself. ;) This is all preliminary poking around to narrow down some choices and/or get ideas I hadn't thought of. I'm what some might call a careful buyer.

Great discussion and input so far!

.22lr (ruger 10/22 or a lever action) are great!
12 gauge. I use my 870 police shotgun and I keep a variety of shells from slugs, 00, 000, #4, #7

those are pretty versatile weapons, but I have some for:
longer distances also 30-06 and .308
shorter distances 9mm 40s&w and 22lr

Personally, the two I have are the tried and true Ruger 10/22 set to coke can accuracy within 100 yds. I have a basic point and shoot scope (don't like trying to adjust focus when I need to down a predator). I also have a semi auto 20ga for an extra measure.

Personally, the two I have are the tried and true Ruger 10/22 set to coke can accuracy within 100 yds. I have a basic point and shoot scope (don't like trying to adjust focus when I need to down a predator). I also have a semi auto 20ga for an extra measure.

I have a Ruger 10/22, no scope. I have a 30 shot banana clip for it. Also 410ga and 12ga shotguns, .38cal pistol.

We have a 22 for shooting close to the animals. We have a spray to shoot in the front yard if someone isn't suppose to be there. It will hit anything.

I prefer the handgun. I have a 22. I have the Ruger 9 mm compact on my wish list. I find that I am a better shot with it. I shoot better than my husband and all his friends. I tried a laser light once, and found it to be a bother.

For predators such as Coyotes and Foxes, a .22.

If you want it for putting down Livestock, a .22 will be a good chicken gun, and a larger. 243 may take down a cow.

For close quarters or birds that are legal to SSS, a shotgun would work, probably a 12 gauge.

A huge gun, which would come in handy for a Bear, would be a 30.06.

I would recommend a .22 or 12 gauge shotgun.

I'm in a semi rural area, that being said there are houses within 40 yards of me on either side. I have used a 22 rifle with cbs ( short shells) no one even knew I shot, except my target. I have a 12 ga. & a 45 handgun for personal protection. I also own a 32 & a 50 cal. black powder rifle & a WWII M1 Garand in a 30:06. I wouldn't hesitate to use any if the need arises. The choice of what I would use depends on the threat or perceived threat.
As you can see there like lays potato chips " you can't have just one ".

Back
Top Bottom