guniea pigs

Quote:
Spish has it right, C&C cages are the way to go! Here's a couple more links for you that I found here in the states.
http://www.guineapigcages.com/cubes.htm

And how to build one...
http://www.guineapigcages.com/howto.htm

Finally, some examples...
http://www.guineapigcages.com/types.htm

My 2 girls have a C&C cage for winter, it's 2 panels wide and 3 panels long. It is completely enclosed to keep the dog from sleeping with them
roll.png
That approach didn't work last year though
lol.png

Thank you for the links. I really like those cages, and am trying to figure out how I can make it work in our small space. I sure do think Shadow would enjoy them a lot.

Those look neat. Im wondering though has anyone seen a cage that looks like furniture? I never had luck but has anyone ever been able to litter trained a piggy? For those of you who have the different breeds where did you get them?

i've seen 'cages' made from bookcases......am off to work right now but as soon as i get home this evening i shall look up the links for you. i have some friends in sweden that make them from a certain type of ikea bookcase (apparantly its the right dimensions and easily put together, also quite cheap to buy.....less than a standard small cavie cage
smile.png
)

My husband and I made a cage out of an old cabinet that I think originally had a TV/radio in it. It was a fun project. He had taken all the insides out of it and used it for a portable TV on top and had stereo components on the bottom. I think that was back in his college days. It's short and wide.

It's big, so it's on easy to roll casters. The front is lined with 1/2" hardware cloth. The back has framing for a door in the middle and more of the wire on either side. It also has a tray that pulls out, so there is a piece of framing wood that runs just above the tray. That horizontal piece of wood is the bottom of the frame for the door and side panels above.

At one point that cabinet cage was a flight cage for budgies. It also had guinea pigs in it for awhile. It's been used as a plant stand. When it wasn't being used for pets, it was used as a place to feed the cats, where my chubby spaniel couldn't eat their food. It's had a full life!
big_smile.png

Spish- When we had cavies in the past I built a great cage from that website
smile.png

I'm really trying to talk dh into cavies again. Our dd will be 5 soon and she's kind of afraid of our rabbits (we raise and show mini rex). I'm thinking cavies would be great to get her started in 4-H. He is pretty much there, but doesn't want to smell them. We have a craft room that they could be in that's detached from the house, but he doesn't want the mess in there. He's not being very helpful
tongue.png
I'm due with baby #2 in March, so I'll likely wait until after we settle into that whole thing. I do miss them though!

I always used the small animal cages sold at pet stores.

Small+Animal+Deep+Tub+Cage+-+24x14x16.jpg

They have smallish trays that are removeable and easy to clean. I have three of them that I use at different times. They work well for brooding chicks and for keeping rabbits and also for my quail. They are very multy purpose.

I have always used them, cause they take up less space. My house is fairly small, so I have to have small cages.

Those other cages were pretty neat, though. I'll have to look into a small one.

I agree that a guinea pig is a great starter 4-H project. That's what I started with all those years ago. It is a very easy part of 4-H. i'm glad to hear you're getting her into 4-H.

Edited to fix a typo.

Last edited:
Quote:
That is what we have Shadow in right now, and it works just fine. I'd like to give him more room to play around in, though, if I can. I do like the idea of using the smaller cage for quail housing.

Back
Top Bottom