guniea pigs

Here are some photos of my guys.

This is Jack, he is a long hair piggy. I need to clip his hair about every three weeks or so.
079.JPG

This is Nick. When we got him his nails were curling under his feet, he was in a tiny cage and the people didn't know if he was a boy or girl. He sometimes gives Jack a hair cut for me.
DSC_0355.jpg

Here are the girls. Left to right: Maddy, Page, Chloe and Moe.
034.JPG

I need to upload some better photos and then I will start my own topic so I don't hijack anyone's thread.

We have 2 girls, Debbie and April. We don't breed ours either, they are just pets. Ours stay outside all year round, in the winter they have a solid floored cage with a heat light then spring through fall they are in a wire dog crate out in the yard doing what piggies do best
smile.png

Gotta run to town, I'll post pics later
smile.png

Quote:
They can not take the cold. I would not leave them out in the heat either. I take mine out on nice days. Now if you lived in a mild climate they may be able to be outside all year as long as they have protection from the elements and heat if the temps drop below 50-55F. They do best at room temps. They should also not be kept on wire bottomed cages. Their toes/legs can get caught and get broken. Or they can get sores on their feet from the wire. Nick had bubblefoot when I got him. The very worse case I saw was a guinea pig named Paris. Her front food looked like a club foot. It was maybe about the size of a quarter. You couldn't tell she had toes. She needed Epsom salt baths everyday, and daily cage cleaning to keep it from getting infected.

Quote:
I wouldn't unless you could keep the temps stable. We lost our DDs' piggie at the beginning of summer do to a sleepover incident where she was left outside in her playpen without our knowledge in 85* heat with no shade or water for hours. Tragic, hard lesson learned that day. Now, that's not to say that if you did it right they couldn't stay outside but it's so much easier to regulate temps indoors why not take advantage of that? Besides, if they are outside, you don't get to hear all the wonderful chatter.

PICT0565.jpg

Debbie is on the left, April on the right. I live in southern KY, they stay outside all year. They have a towel over their cage to keep the sun off in the summer, then a heat light (100 watt at most) in their other cage during the winter.

This is a bunny, but it was in their cage last winter. You can kinda see what their winter cage is like
smile.png
Their winter cage is a C&C cage about 3' wide and 4' long.

Picture096.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Beautiful! What breed is Buddy? I love the fur, it's so unusual!

He is a Texel - I think in the past it was a cross between a Preuvian and a Teddy. Long, Curly hair. He needs trimmed every so often, unless I feel like bathing and grooming him
smile.png
I hope to have little ones from he and "Penelope" - a female silky - in the next few months...

Quote:
I'm having the same issue - specifically - with Peruvians. I live in NW Pennsylvania, and I really want to get a few Peruvians... but no one seems to have them! Are Cavy a lost hobby???

i shall raise m yhand and say yup i have guinea pigs too, more than 30 actually
smile.png
i currently have texels, rexes, selfs, peruvians, coronets, shelties, alpaca and abysinnian cavies (for any of you who have me as a friend on facebook, you can see all the pics!)

Back
Top Bottom