Gurgling and Spitting Up Clear Liquid When Sitting

omga747

In the Brooder
May 12, 2022
Hi, I have a 2.5 year old Rhode Island Red hen with some symptoms that have me a bit stumped. She has a history of ascites and was last drained mid-August and had been doing very well since. The last couple days she has been acting lethargic and her abdomen seemed to be filling with liquid again. I tried draining again today, but didn't really get any liquid to come out from the needle. For reference, she is about 5 oz lighter now than she was right before the last time she was drained. Tonight she is spitting up some clear liquid and gurgling when breathing, but it only seems to be bad when she sits down. Other miscellaneous info is that she hasn't eaten much at all and has a pretty empty crop. I did get her to eat some mealworms and bread, so she at least has an appetite for treats. Is this just the ascites coming back or something else? Any treatment options would be appreciated!

Unfortunately, it sounds like her condition is worsening.
Ascites is the name of a symptom (fluid in the abdomen) and is usually associated with organ failure/dysfunction and/or reproductive disorders.

The gurgling may be from fluid in the abdomen and restricting her air sacs and/or from the crop/digestive system slowing and not emptying.
I've had hens that had fluid and they gurgled and spit up water, likely because of inflammation and fluid which caused the digestive system to slow or back up.

Depending on how bad she is, you may be able to drain a bit more fluid and give her a while longer.
Address the crop symptoms as well. I'd start with coconut oil and probably go ahead and treat as sour crop.
See that she has access to water and food during waking hours. I usually offer both wet and dry feed. Limit things like bread which are of little nutritional value and can be quite gummy in the digestive system. Provide grit free choice.
Unless a hen is getting picked on or just completely unable to move to food/water, then I leave her with her flock where she's most comfortable and happy. Sometimes they do lounge about and snooze, but I just check on them. Once they are in a state of decline and I have treated symptoms, I determine when they have had enough and kindly let them go. Some hens will rally again (and again) for short periods of time with some TLC, but sadly, they do finally succumb to whatever condition is ailing them.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Back
Top Bottom