Gurgling sick hen

goldeneggtees

Fluffy Butt Nut
10 Years
Mar 11, 2009
Long Island, NY
Neighbor has a hen, won't eat or drink, sounds gurgly and is coughing. Her chest cavity feels mushy and fluid filled. I brought her inside as neighbor is elderly and put her in a box, tried to give scrambled egg and water. She wouldn't eat or drink.

We are trying to figure out if we can give her clavamox or maybe baytril and if so, how much. She is an adult easter egger.

I washed everything completely when I came back. I'm petrified of my hens getting sick from hers.

I just looked up both clavamox and Baytril and you can use either one, clavamox is for bacterial, and Baytril is for CRD, also amoxicillin is used for respiratory infections. Baytril 1/4 to 1/2 tablet daily for 5to 8 days. and I'll see if I can find the dosage for clavamox.
clavamox or amoxicillin is 6 capsules per gallon of water for 5 to 7 days or individual treatment 1 capsule daily for only 2 days. I am copying this from the medicine chart that Twin City Poultry Supplies sent to me.
you might also want to read this http://www.organicvet.co.uk/Poultryweb/disease/mygall/mygall1.htm

Last edited:
Thank you Miss Lydia. I will pass this info on to my neighbor. She called and said our friend who is a vet is coming over tomorrow to check her out. Hopefully she can figure out what is wrong and can decide on the best course of action. It doesn't look good for her I'm afraid but you never know - right?

Thats right we never know, just be sure to find out if this could be passed on to your birds via air. If i was you I would get some Oxine AH and spray the dickens out of my coop and birds till hers are well or culled. All the best for caring about your neighbor and her birds.

Our friend, the vet went over last night and thinks she has an impacted crop, which makes me feel better. But I'm surprised she'd have an impacted crop as they get to free range. Maybe she got into something she shouldn't have. Hmmmm…

Edited to add: I don't know what causes impacted crop hence my statement above. It's probably silly to assume that because they free range, they can't get impacted crop. Woops!
tongue.png

Last edited:
impacted crop is better as far as contagious but I hope the vet is going to do something about it, it doesn't go away on it own. after she gets over this [with help] she should put her chickens on ACV added to their water daily. 1 tab. to 1 gallon of water. it really helps to keep the crop from souring. what did the vet suggest be done?

She emailed me and wrote…

"I removed about half the fluid and told susan to keep her from eating at least overnight. We'll see if time helps her pass the rest".

I will tell them about the ACV too, thanks!

The hen's eyes seemed to be very bright and alert so it makes sense that she's not sick with a respiratory thing. I would think that is she was that sick, her eyes would have seemed dull and maybe even pussy too.

yep usually the eyes will show if she was really sick, glad to hear the vet helped her out. she might want to keep her up for a few days and feed her yogurt and ACV in her water. that way she wouldn't be adding more stuff to an already sick crop. soft foods go down easy, what they usually say is nothing over night then start introducing soft foods for a few days then add a little feed in mush form then after so many days if crop is emptying back to reg. feed. I hope she recovers. Crop should be full in the eve. and after not eating all night close to flat in morning if healthy.

Back
Top Bottom