Gurties vent

Chmok

In the Brooder
Feb 9, 2020
Thank you for letting me join. I live on island in ionian sea. I started hatching my chicks last August. I now have 9.think I have 2 rosters. Breeds. Unknown apart from 2 turken. About 4 weeks ago. Found One of my 10 week old hens in corner of henhouse dead. With wounds to back end. Not much blood. Very upsetting. After that put younger pullets safely in separate pen in coop but away from the older girls. Four hens gurty and blodwyn henryetta. And tilly. Who were month older. Say 14 weeks. Next morning went to coop. Blood everywhere. Seams that we have a rat that likes chicken. Tilllys feet had a few injurys. Which I cleaned being novice used sudo cream to help heal. She developed bumble foot. With help from threads on here and utube she is now all better. But went up to coop three days ago. And my first ever hatchling gurty a turken hen. Has I belive been attacked by said Roland rat. Her vent has been chewed. For three days iv been bathing her in epsom salts. Her vent is unrecognisable. I've been using antibiotic spray. And a spray that turns her bottom blue. But not sure how long to continue. And or if she will survive. She is eating. But I'm trying to stop her laying. Gave her scrambled eggs yesterday with hemp oil which she enjoyed. If she pecks at her injory how can I stop her.
Unsure of what's best.
Thanks again.

Hi and welcome to BYC. I hope the ER peeps will be along soon to assist.

Welcome to BYC.
Can you post a picture or two of her injured area?

IMG_20200209_173812.jpg

ill take some photos after her bath tomorrow. Have been treating her as you would a blowout. The few nicks on her legs are the least of problems. I do push her flesh back in using vasalen. But it comes back out. Don't know what the white bits are. She has been laying for two weeks very small eggs. She laid egg the day before. And when I opened up in morning she was covered in blood. Legs had small cuts. Then I saw her bottom. Unsure of what to do. Apart from keep on doing. 30 min warm bath. Blow-dry. Antibiotic spray. And the blue antiseptic. Then I gently push Back in with vasalen.

Thanks for any advice.

Sorry anot amount photos. Hard to do with girty in my hands. Bleeding dryed up using preparation h. She's stronger now. Keeping her in semi dark. Has stopped laying. She is eating and drinking. Drinking loads. But still unsure if doing right thing. What are the white bits. Should I continue with antibiotic spray.

I don't see chewed...I think you are seeing prolapse.
It's not any easy or quick fix.
Keep doing what you are doing.

Thank you Kiki. She's improving with prep h.
Loves bath now. Think it was to cold for her before. And blow drying. Spreads her wings. Lol.
The cuts on her legs are healing now. Thanks again.

Be sure to keep the prolapse red tissue moist with a cream or ointment so that it doesn’t dry out. Coconut or olive oil, honey, or petroleum jelly are a few of the safe ones used. Try to push the prolapse back inside and hold it there for a few minutes, but it may pop back out. Hopefully it will stay in soon. A daily soak in warm water can help to keepmthe vent clean. Has she started laying yet? Is she the 14 week old? Does she seem to be passing droppings okay or has she been constipated? Are the chickens pecking at each other’s vents or bottoms?

Gurtie hatched September last year. She started laying end of January. Her eggs have calcium spots. Her last egg was almost white. The sister started later her eggs are perfect.. They are fed chick feed. Cracked corn. And pellets. Curtsey of rabbits. Are suitable for chickens. The vent is not as bad as it was. But is still out a little. The white u see on her photos is hard. She is better in herself not laying as I keep her in dark till 8 and put her to bed 530. Have noticed she goes looking trying to clean her bum was afraid she would peck herself. But no evidence of blood. The cuts on legs are scab over. Spray them with blue stuff. Off vet pharmacy. Worked well with other chicken who developed bumble foot after raland rat attack. The only pecker I have is gurtie. Head hen in fact her and her sister we called the cray twins. Who would rule younger pullets. The night in question. Locked all pullets in Old rabbit hutch. Apart from gurtie.and her sis. The night we lost a 12 week old the cray twins were in rabbit hutch. It might be just coincidence. The rat. But I'm not sure. We've been locking all chickens together with gurtie in pet carrier in rabbit hutch. No injuries. Gurtie is pooping well. Vent is clean apart from hard white stuff. I do push it in. Do I try to remove it.,? Where we live the water has a very high mineral content. But the others are fine. Cats have killed at least 3 rats.that we found. A Head in dogs water this morning. Yuk. Sorry I'm babbling. Just trying to paint a picture. Maby give u a better idea of problem.
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom