gutted

cattz

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 15, 2014
I have just heard a terrible commotion outside. A fox has somehow got into my garden past the electric nets fencing which I was confident was keeping it secure (how wrong could I be). One of my hens is missing another was dying and a third was dead.My cockerel nobby was frozen in terror in the corner of my garden but I think is just shocked not injured.Not only have I lost my favourite girls but 2 of the hens that were killed were sitting on eggs which are due any day now.I have brought all the eggs inside and have placed them by a radiator under a heat lamp.I don't know how to get the room to the right humidity or how close the lamp should be,, can anyone advise..also anyone know how the fox could of get past my fence? Its been fine for a year now and the girls have been left completely with the run of the garden even tho I know there are foxes close to home,, do you think the fox could have jumped it? Pleased help.Yours broken hearted catzz

images

Welcome to BYC!

I am so sorry about the fox attack. That is awful!! I have no idea how he got in. I have never used electric fences before so I just don't know. You might want to post this question in our Pests and Predators forums for more help with this. I hope someone there with more experience with foxes can help you figure this out...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/13/predators-and-pests

Again, I am really sorry. And I am also sorry I do not have any ideas to help you. Good luck and keep us posted.

So sorry to hear about your hens. Fixes are wily and clever, the only way to keep them out is a barrier fence. Personally I have no faith in electric fences.

Your eggs will need to be placed in a box or other small confined space with a heat source that keeps the temp right around 100 degrees. Moisture can be provided with a shallow pan holding a wet sponge. Eggs that close to hatching do not need to be turned.

Good luck!

My guess would be that the fox probably jumped the fence. The scary part is that it will probably return - be prepared. Good luck with incubating those eggs.

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! So sorry about your loss. Hope you are able to keep the eggs going, X3 if you can put them in a small box or cooler and get the temperature stable at around 100*, there are a number of homemade incubators in the Learning Center made out of old styrafoam coolers etc, maybe you could do something similar. https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/homemade-chicken-egg-incubator-designs-pictures
Foxes are really smart and good at figuring things out, and as sourland mentioned it will probably come back, double check if there was anything for him to get on to jump over, or a gap underneath etc, and make sure the fence isn't broken or grounded out somewhere which happens pretty easily.

HI thank you for all the help.Its morning here now (live in Nottingham u.k)i have just been to check the garden in daylight and part of the electric fence looks sagged on top between the posts.My guess is he has climbed on top of the 8 foot fence which surrounds my garden with my neighbours then cleared the top of the 4 Ft electric nets fencing that sits inside the wooden one, maybe landing briefly on top of it causing it to be saggy. I have just moved this part of the electric net further into my garden away form the wooden fence to make it harder for him.I ask myself ....what do I do. ?Keep my girls in the run all the time,,,, or let them roam free in my garden in the day, there run attached to the hen houseis completely enclosed and safe(I think) but the garden is fab for them lots more space, trees, grass plants etc.i am paranoid he will come back in daylight now and maybe I should just leave them in the run.I think of the girls I lost l,last night and Tel myself they have had a great life out in my garden all day every day (my favourite hen was a rescue hen which makes the thought of there happy lives before the fox got in even more poignant. )Hard call I suppose quality of life is more important than length but loosing them is so hard, I adore my chickensxx

Hi

Thats just terrible news, I'm in London e4, we have foxes too. They're an awful nuisance. Keep us posted on the eggs.

HI thank you for all the help.Its morning here now (live in Nottingham u.k)i have just been to check the garden in daylight and part of the electric fence looks sagged on top between the posts.My guess is he has climbed on top of the 8 foot fence which surrounds my garden with my neighbours then cleared the top of the 4 Ft electric nets fencing that sits inside the wooden one, maybe landing briefly on top of it causing it to be saggy. I have just moved this part of the electric net further into my garden away form the wooden fence to make it harder for him.I ask myself ....what do I do. ?Keep my girls in the run all the time,,,, or let them roam free in my garden in the day, there run attached to the hen houseis completely enclosed and safe(I think) but the garden is fab for them lots more space, trees, grass plants etc.i am paranoid he will come back in daylight now and maybe I should just leave them in the run.I think of the girls I lost l,last night and Tel myself they have had a great life out in my garden all day every day (my favourite hen was a rescue hen which makes the thought of there happy lives before the fox got in even more poignant. )Hard call I suppose quality of life is more important than length but loosing them is so hard, I adore my chickensxx
goodpost.gif

Back
Top Bottom