Guys and gals... MY NEIGHBOR IS CRAZY!!!! She's the real predator!

Pics

Sobek

Songster
Aug 12, 2018
orlando florida
so a few of you know how my neighbor was feeding my chickens all types of things they shouldn't be eating in the amount she gave. It was attracting possums that attacked my chickens. I put the possum down and she came out and I told her it was just me there was a possum so she wouldn't be afraid. She's like a lonely old paranoid woman with some issues. And she was excited and said "ohh let me see the possum" which was unfortunate because I just got done putting it down :l Today I just HAPPENED to walk back outside to see a hawk swooping down to my yard and my neighbor is standing there with her arms out trying to encourage the hawk to land there. Right when I walked out and looked at the hawk you could see it stopping it's land and flying back up. I told my neighbor I didn't want the hawks around here and she was like "I'm just playing with them I'm just playing with them" I was like what is your problem?! Why do you act like these predatory animals are our friends?! they're trying to kill my chickens! :l she's driving me crazy. So I start doing my best warning call for my chickens and hurried them under a massive wooden deck and they went under there with me. My other chicken stayed under a chair eating and she was looking up at them and looking at me. But my neighbor is encouraging all of this it's driving me crazy!!!

ALSO How can I make a call for my chickens?? any tips?? I'm super involved in their lives and they kind of treat me as a rooster since there isn't a rooster with them. So I'm always out there or always checking up on them regularly

I feed my chooks a lot of treats, and if you call their names before treats, they'll come running when they hear their names. As for your neighbor; if she's coming in your yard encouraging hawks, you could call the cops. Good luck!

It sounds like you have one of those neighbors who won't be persuaded my talking to her that what she's doing is bad will for your chickens and for the predator she may be feeding or whatever.
I think that's the first thing you need to do is to try to get your neighbor to change her ways.
Maybe if you spoke with your local game warden and let them know that she is feeding wildlife and such they could at least give her a call letting her know that what she's doing isn't legal and could be a criminal act that comes with a fine Etc.
That may scare her enough that she stops.
At least for me after finding a secure place for my chickens to stay, that would be the next step. Making sure my neighbor's not attracting the predators in the first place.

I read your previous post too. When I had chickens I had them trained to come to a whistle as others have suggested, make the same sound when giving treats and they'll come running just for the call.

Obviously you can't be out there all the time though. (am I right in guessing you're in a duplex, or some other form of shared property with your neighbor?) If not, I'd be inclined to complain to authorities, mainly on the left out compost drawing in predators.

If my neighbor was feeding my animals on my property without permission and would not stop when asked, I would have to call the police to have a chat with her. Now if my animals were roaming on her property, that's another story. Are your chickens penned in your property or are they roaming? Why does she have access? I live in the country surrounded by cattle fields and yes they're cute but I'd never feed them treats without permission. It could ruin their intended diets.

My chickens come running when they hear me come outside, but even faster when I shake the treats bag.

I feed my chooks a lot of treats, and if you call their names before treats, they'll come running when they hear their names. As for your neighbor; if she's coming in your yard encouraging hawks, you could call the cops. Good luck!
Waving her arms encouraging a hawk to land there.....!!!
That is wildley funny! And totally unlikely to work, in fact the oppisite.
your and her presence in the yard are deturents to the hawk, not enticements.
Good luck!
That hawk was legit ignoring my neighbor and still about to land in the yard :l I don't know if she had food or if it was going for the chickens but

Back
Top Bottom