Gypse moth caterpillars?

Jlw0903

Songster
Jul 2, 2019
Hey all,
Anyone know if chickens (or ducks) will eat gypse moth caterpillars? Thinking about getting some chickens to help with pest control Around my garden and property.

Mine would not. I'm not sure if the problem was the "hairs" or the webbing. Probably both. They would do no more than look at the webbing masses. I tried separating the caterpillars from the webbing and the chickens still would do no more than pick one up, drop it and ignore all of them from then on.

So, now I cut the webbing mass out of the trees and burn it in a burn barrel.

Mine won't touch them, either. Other than those, though, (and roly-polies), I will say my yard was pretty much free of insects after I got chickens. Weeds, too!

Mine would not. I'm not sure if the problem was the "hairs" or the webbing. Probably both. I tried separating them from the webbing and the chickens still would do no more than pick one up, drop it and ignore all of them from then on.
Dang. That's a shame. My ducks have done the same but chickens are less picky than ducks and overall more efficient pest controllers. Guuess I'll just do more research on what wild animals I can attract to my year to help. I really try to avoid using chemicals but these B@sterds are destroying my maples oaks and fruit trees. (Oddly enough they haven't touched my cherry tree tho..)

Back
Top Bottom