Gypsy Vanner Horse Owners I need your knowledge

Quote:
Then what you want is either an old-style Morgan (type) or a smaller draft or draftX. (e.t.a. - or old-style ranch type horse, if you can find one). Most of these real drafty-shaped horses (like Vanners) are indeed pretty broad in the back... but you know what, how painful that is to ride depends a lot on your saddle and on how correct your seat (riding) is. From what you describe, I can think of a number of horses that I've known that would probably have suited you quite well, mostly Belgian crosses and Percheron crosses and "miscellaneous small drafty types".

Really truly, leave this Gypsy Vanner bit to the people who want trendy labels on their clothes. You go out and buy the exact same darn thing, except without the label, for a zillionth of the price, and you will be just as happy and a lot better off financially
wink.png

I never have had a horse and have very little hands on experience.

If you are thinkig of getting a horse someday, hands-on experience is EXCEPTIONALLY IMPORTANT to get. Rather than playing "look at pics, think about what I might want", it would be very much more valuable to go clean stalls for someone, help turn horses out, take some riding lessons on a wide variety of horses, and get to know what kind of horse type you actually *get along well with*. Which may be a draftX or may not. No way to tell from purty pictures
smile.png

BTW, what "work" are you wanting a horse to do? Pretty much any horse with a good brain (and a beginner shouldn't get any other kind) can be trained to pull stuff, like a sledge or cart or cultivator or logs or whatever. People with limited horse experience should not be thinking in terms of plowing with Belgian teams or anything like that... so it is not clear to me that there is likely to be any 'work' you should be doing with a future horse that ANY horse couldn't easily do, once trained to harness.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat​

Last edited:
I do SOO agree with Patandchickens. I've got drafts and while I adore their temperment they're sort of like really big dogs in that they live shorter lives. Most farriers charge extra for doing draft feet and make no bones about it they do eat more than your average paint mare. They know to the exact ounce how much heavier they are than you and they will use that advantage if you allow them to. I agree that the Gypsies are absolutely stunning but me, personally, I'd rather rescue a Shire and know that I was rescuing a breed of horse that's actually endangered.

Pat, I too whole heartedly agree. I have been riding since I was knee high. I have moved to the draft and draft crosses from riding Morgans all my life. The one trait I have noticed with the Drums and Gypsy's is they all seem to want to be in your pocket. I am waiting for a Shire mare to be delivered to me next week. I do have plans on breeding her to possibly a Friesian as I am looking to create a sport horse for myself. Either way, I looooove the drafts. Matbe when I was younger, the hot go go go's worked for me, but I'm older, I like a steady mount with a good temperment and this may sound a bit shallow, but I want a pretty horse also. I trail ride for miles and miles, I ride Hunt seat and dressage,and these guys fit so many uses, these guys sure are a pleasure
All that being said. Drafts are not for everyone, and seeing them in the wrong hands breaks my heart.

This is the Drum I ride/show, He belongs to DuckDuckMoo, a member here, and he is a Drum. He is also a 4 yr old Stallion and unless you ask him to do his job, you would never know he is a stallion. He drives, rides, goes in parades, he is wonderfull around the babies and rock solid steady for everything we've ever asked of him. This boy sold me on the breed

boon.jpg

this is the Shire Mare heading to my house next week. I am soooo excited, she is a rock solid riding horse with every quality I am looking for.

12831_lucy1.jpg

and this is me and Molly, an older Clyde mare that is an absolute point n go. She is such a pest, you cannot walk through the pasture without loving on her.... she is rather insistent that she be pet.

12831_cell_phone_no_no.jpg

Last edited:
Belgian crosses and Haflinger crosses are pretty easy to find in Amish country and are sturdy and good horses. An older woman I know just bought an Arab/Haflinger cross because she's getting old and her high-strung purebred Arab endurance mare was too much for her. That Arab/Haflinger sure is adorable! Bay, with a thick curly black mane and a mealy muzzle.

ChicknJ, your drum horse is absolutely stunning. With his white face and blue eyes.
love.gif

It's funny you should mention getting some experience working with horses first. I was thinking the exact same thing on my way to class tonight. I was thinking about posting a ad on craigslist to volunteer to help someone out with their horse chores. Surely someone would jump at the chance for free help cleaning stalls, currying horses, etc. Right??? Maybe put one on here in the BSA section. I don't know anyone personally who has horses or I would ask them. I will admit I am just a former city girl with country dreams and I have to start somewhere.
Step 1 was chickens
Step 2 will be a couple dwarf goats
Step 3 will be a place with more acreage and horses

Quote:
Well I want another horse, I love the Gypsys and I love my Mustangs temperament and build, and I have the opportunity to get it at a very low stud fee. She doesn't get false pregnancys, she adopted my then 3.5 month mini and produced milk for him. I always wanted a baby from her, and my animals are here to stay... so no flooding the horse market. I'm not a breeder..... I love Mustangs too. I just want a baby from her, so I will have a part of her when she passes, she is special. Yes there are many horses out there that need homes, but the OP was asking about Vanners and I was just putting in my experience and excitement.

I saw a kieger mustang,,I believe is what they called it,,I assume it came from some area called kieger..anyway,she was a dun and stunning! first thing I thought of was she would have crossed exceptionally well with a gypsy,,she had huge main and tail and even had some feathering.

I think it's Kiger Mustang?

I love Vanners, they are gorgeous. Never could afford one, but I have owned 3 draft horses and they are wonderful. I had a Belgian Mare, Percheron Mare and Percheron/Belgian Gelding.

They are good work horses and pleasure horses and are much more reasonable in pricing.

Back
Top Bottom