HA! Corn refiners want to change the name of high fructose corn syrup

If you think changing the name of high fructose corn syrup is moronic, how about the EPA idea of farm dust pollution? Someone please tell me how the EPA will regulate that. I think common sense is on a permanent holiday.

As another corn grower (not in enormous amounts and not sold to others though) I actually am opposed to High Fructose Corn syrup being so "abused." I also think Beet Sugar isn't the best either, both sharing the reason that both are genetically modified in commercial varieties, but for Corn "sugar," the other reason is just how far we've gone to get it. We're talking process after process of adding acids, heating to extremes to separate what we want/don't want, and eventually going to such extremes that it is like getting sugar from Wheat.

Agave, Cane Sugar, Sorghum Syrup, and Honey are already mostly if not purely "sugar," if not purely, then most of the process is just heating and filtering out the excess. Now of course, yes, most of them are so processed we've gotten rid of all the important nutrients, but still, they're far more "natural" than the two most common sources of plant based sweetener.

This is of course just my opinion. I'm pretty picky about corn in general though. What I grow has to be tested negative for genetic modification, none of it is super-sweet, and very few of the varieties I grow are even solid yellow or white.

I'll just finish and say, I don't hate the existence of High Fructose Corn Syrup. I just don't like where we've gone with it.

Last edited:
Quote:
I just watched that movie. I found it disturbing. I really had no idea how the government that is supposed to be protecting our food supply is being run by former high level executives from those big agriculture companies. The same ones that are making those GMO's which are in everything we eat! How do they know the long term effects of human consumption of a genetically modified food? I really felt bad for the soy farmers they interviewed. They are losing their businesses because of the laws protecting the patents on those GMO's. Montsano is the big soy GMO company..google them.
I also was disgusted watching the interviews of the Tyson farmers. If they were not hiding anything why not allow cameras in? Why end the contract for the woman who DID stand up and show what really goes on?
How about that little boy Kevin? If you don't know who he was, read this. http://eshoo.house.gov/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=104

As
far as the whole corn sugar thing....that to me is just another example of how the congress men and women who are supposed to be taking our needs into consideration are being swayed by the $$$$$$ put in their pockets.

The farmers want to change the name because the term "high fructose corn syrup" (and the farmers themselves) has been unjustly vilified. The misinformed and the media have had a field day with this term without actually knowing what it means. Don't get me wrong, I don't think parents should be filling their kids up with sugary pop and fruit juice, however, the fat kids are the lazy parents' fault and not the corn industry. If you got diabetes from being obese, that is your fault and not the corn industry.

The ironic thing lost in the sensationalistic media frenzy around HFCS is that it actually has many beneficial properties as compared to sucrose (or cane or beet sugar). Fructose is much sweeter than sucrose (almost 2x as sweet). So you have to use less of it to get the same sweetness in your food or drink. Less sugar = less calories = less weight gain.

I say let the corn farmers change the name so they can at least be playing on a level playing field compared to the other sweeteners.

I think like Illia - it's all the processing that can't be good. This is my quick Google search:

Solvents/Bleaches: phosphoric acid and calcium hydroxide (lime), or, carbon dioxide and calcium hydroxide, sulfur dioxide, cationic flocculants,

Bone char or activated charcoal, blood albumin (?),

Of course, this site is really scary detailed, but I can't find any references to their sources:
http://www.wholevegan.com/refined_sugar.html#Table of Contents

eta: I avoid all sugars - sugar is sugar - everything in moderation

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom