HA! Corn refiners want to change the name of high fructose corn syrup

Personally I think it's up to the buyer, really. I don't have a huge problem with this sweetener vs that one, I just take my opinion and my choosing, like everyone else. I do find a problem though with people genetically modifying and patenting a plant that is wind pollinated.
roll.png
It's a good thing no one grows corn around here for another 70+ miles, and there's 100+ foot trees in between, plus most of my corn I actually save the seed/kernals of are bred inside a greenhouse, but for those without that "luxury," - Not the nicest thing to think of when you want your corn to be how you wanted it, and you want to save your seed.

But, if someone really wants to get stingy with sweet stuff, there's two solutions - 1) just don't buy it, and go for growing your own or buying local fruits for a sweet fix. and 2) get Stevia. Zero on the glycemic level, zero calories, comes straight from the leaves of the Stevia plant without any serious processing, but is indeed an acquired taste vs other "sweeteners." Some of my family love it, personally, I think it only goes good with dairy products and fruity desserts, preferably citrus-based ones. Also, Stevia is much, much sweeter than sugar, so very very little is required. We're talking a little drop or two for a big dessert.

Last edited:
Quote:
That's sorta my problem with it actually. I don't as much have a problem with them producing high fructose corn syrup, but changing the name to make it sound - to the average joe - more like cane sugar is a little ridiculous in my book.

As for those that would say folks like myself that are down on HFCS have an agenda against the american farmer, this afternoon I spent $100+ supporting my local farmers by buying at the farmer's market. Tonight I will place an order for $465 to purchase grass fed beef and range fed pork from a farmer right here in our tiny little town; processed by another neighbor. Tomorrow when I grocery shop I will not buy any food made with high fructose corn syrup or as is my policy when grocery shopping, anything that has an ingredient listed on the content label that I cannot pronounce. In other words, I put my money where my mouth is.

I fail to see how that is against the american farmer
idunno.gif
, more like against mega agribusiness.

We shouldn't believe everything we see in movies, but it's okay to believe the commercials from the Corn Refiners Association that tell us that "sugar is sugar"?
hu.gif

Last edited:
Does your body process corn sugar differently?

Would we having this same discussion if the cane or beet sugar was the more recently put in use instead of corn sugar?

"Oh NO!!! CANE SUGAR!! RUNNNNN!!!!"
big_smile.png

ETA...

Oh and I agree with Katy. I am overweight because I eat too much, not because of corn sugar. Period end of story.

Last edited:
Being overweight isn't my issue, at least not yet. Not being able to tolerate corn, is.
hmm.png

Quote:
That's sorta my problem with it actually. I don't as much have a problem with them producing high fructose corn syrup, but changing the name to make it sound - to the average joe - more like cane sugar is a little ridiculous in my book.

As for those that would say folks like myself that are down on HFCS have an agenda against the american farmer, this afternoon I spent $100+ supporting my local farmers by buying at the farmer's market. Tonight I will place an order for $465 to purchase grass fed beef and range fed pork from a farmer right here in our tiny little town; processed by another neighbor. Tomorrow when I grocery shop I will not buy any food made with high fructose corn syrup or as is my policy when grocery shopping, anything that has an ingredient listed on the content label that I cannot pronounce. In other words, I put my money where my mouth is.

idunno.gif

We shouldn't believe everything we see in movies, but it's okay to believe the commercials from the Corn Refiners Association that tell us that "sugar is sugar"?
hu.gif

smile.png
x2 I try and buy local to and support the farmers... so hard with 4 kids! And seems like never enough $

Quote:

idunno.gif

hu.gif

What you fail to see tho is that we American farmers are what make up mega agribusiness. All of little guys put together. Whether you care to acknowledge it or not.......when you bad mouth something any product we produce....you are bad mouthing the American farmer.

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

I prefer to spend my food dollars with my local farmers who are going out of their way to get away from the status quo. It is my money and I'll spend it anyway I choose.

Back
Top Bottom