Ha! Got 'em!

Quote:
Yeah, I'm talking about the regular factory ones. The fertile ones are a whole other story. I'm sorry for the confusion, but I usually take "grocery store eggs" as the factory eggs. Not the special ones.

those regular egglands best eggs dont have a rooster in there . it would just use up cage space and food. THose cockerels are sorted ou as day olds and 99% of the time destroyed.

Hi neighbor, I would go over to Midway Farms on 20 if I were you. She even has some EE eggs. Her eggs will be fresher. Just make sure to ask the person at the counter and make sure the eggs you get are hers. You could probably call (or email) and ask her to put some aside specially for you to hatch out.

I am getting my bator next week, and will be testing it with some fertile eggs from a friend's flock.

Sweet! Another heart of the valley person!

I live on Hwy 20 about a mile or so from there.

I love their cow!
ya.gif

The closest my wife has come to liking the chickens is she loves giving the eggs away... like she did any of the WORK!

Plus, I just manicured the backyard so the Chicken coop looks like it's in the middle of paradise.

Garden is planted and now rain is on the way!! Shouldn't complain. We really do need it!

Quote:
She has the best milk, I get to pick up my weekly allotment tomorrow! I never thought about hatching out the eggs from the co-op, they look like Sex-Links to me, so it would be interesting to see. You could ask them their delivery dates and get the freshest ones. I think it's Wednesday for the North store, but I'm not positive.

I'll check with MidWay first. They're closer. I need an excuse to visit them anyway. I usually stop at Heavenly Harvest because it's right by my house.

We'll get the incubator built first.

Yes, but you have goats already, and those are going to have to stay on our wish list until we are able to move into the country. So I think you still come out ahead.

Good luck building your incubator, I was going to build one until I found a cheap hova bator on ebay. They look pretty straight-forward to make.

Well, my kids and I have no complaints about our experience with the science project of trying to hatch from grocery store eggs. Joey is doing fine. He has the standard two legs. No bad feet or toes. Seems like a normal chick to me.
Here is the thread that was mentioned about our Trader Joes eggs:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=124940

Joey has a friend name Amber, a Buff Orpington, in with him to keep him company. She is in the front and he is in the back.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/20741_100_1468.jpg

Good luck with what ever you decide to do.

Back
Top Bottom