Ha ha, silly pet store guy!

I've worked many years in retail (NOT any more, thank goodness
cool.png
) and there are two types of entry level employees: The ones who start off knowing squat but watch, listen and learn... and the ones who start off knowing squat but don't give a hoot.
The trick is to find the employee that, even if they don't know, will find out the CORRECT answer for you. You don't have to know everything... just know where to find the info.
I'd rather sit around a couple minutes while an employee finds out the answer for me than get an incorrect answer in two seconds!

Jeeze, Jordan...flicking a snake on the head so it bites...
roll.png

I'll be the first one to say, I don't know, but I'll find out...I'll look right through the book in front of the customer.

You'll find a cornie that blends in with the leaves and rocks and such not candy cane or candy corn colours...even *I* know that...they'd never survive...like white alligators.

I had a lady yesterday wanting to buy a guinea pig...she wanted to know if it was better to buy a girl or a boy...not much of a difference actually, temperment-wise...at least in my mind.

Do girls go into heat? That was new one on me, but one of the other girls has a piggie and I know of a couple so no was the correct answer on that one...

Look at the hair is something wrong with her? No, she's an Abyssinian...she's supposed to look like that...

Do they shed like a dog? A little but you can brush them with a soft brush.

EWWW! How'd it get red eyes? It was born with them...

I think I'll come back...
BYE BYE!!!

In school I always had my head in a book and I still do, if I get a new animal in at work...like pixie frogs...

Quote:
THAT'S what I'm talking about! See... you're not a lazy good for nothin' like some of the employees at your job (I'm sure there are plenty!).
And you managed to keep a complete idiot from adopting an animal she knew nothing about.
roll.png

I worked in a pet store for four months and got zero training. Even though I knew the breed characteristics for the most the breeds of puppies they sold, I was less informed on the birds, ferrets, and rodents and that caused problems sometimes. I once spent an hour with some customers who were buying as a ferret as gift barely knowing a thing about ferrets. I did some reading on them afterwards and realized I'd accidentally given them some some wrong info
sad.png
sad.png
I sure hope the wrong info I gave didn't harm the ferret.

BTW, I only lasted at the job four months. I wanted the animals to live in spotless cages/kennels ( the place also boarded and groomed dogs at the time). My boss didn't care if the animals lived in spotless cages/kennelss-she wanted the work done, fast!

Also, NEVER buy a puppy from a pet store and not just because of the puppy mill issue. More than once saw a puppy become quiet and shy the minute it came out of its cage and playful once it was back in. We actually had a customer mention that the personality of their puppy changed from quiet and shy at the store to bold and dominant at home. Oh, and then I heard my co-workers, even one of my bosses-give wrong info about the breeds more than once!

Back
Top Bottom