Hackel Chickens?

keithallen1965

Songster
10 Years
Aug 17, 2009
conroe
Anyone have them? Any Pictures? I saw a report on hackel chickens on RFD TV they look cool!!!
cool.png

Keith
Olive Farms

They are a breed that only a few people have (that are used for saddle and cape feathers to tie flys). Only 1 that I have found that sells eggs. I'd have to look to find the name again. $50 adozen for hatching eggs if I remember. That is what I am wanting to work to for my own use. I am going to take my phoenix roo and cross him to work on different color patterns.

Bo

edit to add:
Ahh found the web page. They show to be $55 per doz.
http://www.theriaultflies.com/chickenhackle.html

Last edited:
Ughh what a rip off I have heard that barred rock roos have great feathers for fly tying why dont you try crossing one of them with a phoinex or something the resulting cross I think would look similar to those pictures on that website.

Very interesting site. They sound like very specialized birds. I bet people who want to raise birds for fly tying and don't want to spend years perfecting the birds would gladly pay $50 to start a flock. Heck, check out ebay, people pay close to that for barnyard assortment eggs with shipping. I thought this was interesting: "We raise and sell genetic hackle for fly tying. We sell eggs and chicks from two genetic blood lines. Our gray jungle fowl are hybrids that we have crossed with chickens to improve hatching."

McMurry Hatchery has a fly tiers selection of chicks. But that is far from what you need to know if you are looking to produce hackles for tiers. You need to know how to grade the necks. there area several chickens that produce grizzly feathers but the Barred Rock is considered the standard. Since most hackle producers have bread there flocks to get the feathers desired you would most likely be better off looking for breeders to buy rather than buying chicks of unknown quality. I have always thought that if you could produce lots of chickens and contract a supplier like Mepps. you could do very well with breeding Hackle chickens. I have had a long time interest in trying to supply hackle just for a local fly shop. but it is a league of breeding that most chicken keepers are not even familiar with. there really is a reason those feathers cost so much.

Just like any other "breed" they are a bird that has been given a name. The breed name is "Genetic Hackle", Harry Darbee of NY started to breed birds for feather quality back in the 60's. If you really are interested in knowing more about these birds pick up a copy of Frank Elders book "The Book of Hackle". It is no longer in print and will cost you if you find it but it gives a great history on hackle, what it is and why it is sought after. Most ppl that raise chickens have no idea what is involved with genetic hackle production because it is kept secret by about a half doz. breeders in the US.

Back
Top Bottom