Hackle, saddle, and sickle feathers

MontanaDolphin

Songster
6 Years
Feb 16, 2013
Columbia, Virginia
I was just reading some posts and wanted more information about the feather differences in hens versus roosters.

From what I've read, all roosters will have pointed hackle and saddle feathers, and long sickle feathers, unless it's a breed of chicken that is hen feathered. Is this correct?

If so, does this apply to Barred Rocks? Will the males have pointed feathers but the females won't? And at what age do Barred Rock males' pointed saddle and hackle feathers begin to appear?

TYIA!!!

From what I've read, all roosters will have pointed hackle and saddle feathers, and long sickle feathers, unless it's a breed of chicken that is hen feathered. Is this correct?

If so, does this apply to Barred Rocks? Will the males have pointed feathers but the females won't?

Yes, and yes. Also with barred rocks the cockerels will be a lighter more silvery barred and the hen will be darker with heavier barring. Feather differentiation can vary from breed to breed and within various strains of the breeds - I would guesstimate an average time of around 12 to 15 weeks.

Thanks. I knew about the differences in feather colors...that's how I knew what I had at 4 weeks. But I've seen a few posts here about how some chicken owners were convinced they had one sex because of the traits that pointed to that sex, and turned out to be the opposite sex. So, I am just curious about the hackle and saddle feathers so I can verify what I have in the future.

Back
Top Bottom