Had 12 hatch, 1 never pipped but was " shrink wrapped" when I opened the egg. What happened?

How can you tell its shrink wrapped?
When I candled the egg, I noticed a very big air pocket. No movement. I cracked the egg at the air pocket and when the egg opened, there my chick was. Shrink wrapped and it never had any cracks or pips in the last days. I'm scratching my head. It absorbed the yolk and blood vessels. It looks perfect. But it didn't make it. This all happened in the last 30 minutes. Last healthy chick was hatched this morning.

It's unusual for only one egg to shrinkwrap out of a bunch, was it really porus? did the egg have lots of lighter spots in the shell when candled?

Not in this case, it was a good looking egg. Just strikes me as odd. I thought all the eggs were gonna make it. 12 out of 13 isn't bad though. Still don't get it. Humidity was good at all times. I'd cover the incubator with a warmed wet towel when taking chicks out, when I still had a few to go. I guess it wasn't meant to be. 12 I incubated, and 9 my broody silkie hatched. 21 healthy babies total.

Not in this case, it was a good looking egg. Just strikes me as odd. I thought all the eggs were gonna make it. 12 out of 13 isn't bad though. Still don't get it. Humidity was good at all times. I'd cover the incubator with a warmed wet towel when taking chicks out, when I still had a few to go. I guess it wasn't meant to be. 12 I incubated, and 9 my broody silkie hatched. 21 healthy babies total.
That's still a good hatch, congrats! Some eggs are just different.

Back
Top Bottom