Had a disease/injury and failed to realize that you had it?

welsummerchicks

Songster
9 Years
Jul 26, 2010
I had a fever and lung infection and have to go to bed and take lots of drugs.

My first tip off was that I could not breathe.

I have menopause and very severe hot flashes. So. The other day I said to my partner, 'I am having this one big long hot flash that basically has lasted all day. Isn't that odd?'

My partner, he is watching, 'Year One' movie, and he just says, 'Uh huh.....' and starts chanting along with the dialogue('Yeah, he just kept running his head into that rock until finally, he just couldn't pull through').

Today at the docs she said, 'You are running a fever'.

And I was like, 'how am I supposed to tell the difference between that and these &&&&&&&&&&&& &&&&& &&& hot flashes?'

I read this one in a magazine years ago:

A team roper had a tooth pulled, and it was killing him so he asked the dentist for pain pills. Then off he went to the rodeo taking oh, a couple pills, on the way.

Waiting to start, he was kicked by another horse in the chute. Delightfully unaware, he looked down at his thigh and said, 'well ain't that lucky, he missed me', missing the large poop-filled hoofprint square on his thigh.

He runs his horse out, steps off to rope the calf, and goes down like he's shot. The EMT's keep shouting at him, 'You broke your thigh!' and he's like, 'Whaaaa???? It don' huuuuurrrrt.....'

Any of you folks got some good stories of the disease or injury you did not know you had?

Last edited:
Mine was a kidney stone that lasted for many months, thought I hurt my back. Also I have hot flashes and agree, there have been times Ive thought something could be really wrong and I wouldn't know. Hate hate hate hot flashes!

Well, when I was 35 I started having night sweats.

"Early menopause," said the Doc.

At 37 I started having elbow pain.

"Tendonitis," said the Doc.

At 40 I started running the occasional fever with soar throat and extreme exhaustion.

Alarmed, I went to a Mrs. Doc who did a thorough work up.

"Autoimmune disorder," she said. "Most likely R.A. I'll run one final test."

Two weeks later she confirmed that diagnosis, and so another obstacle in my life had to be climbed.

oh heck. I was thinking of funny situations like mine. But I'm glad you shared.

Take it in any direction you want folks. Just anyone chime in, please. Maybe some smiles and some tough challenges too.

Last edited:
You gotta love those...Ohhhhhhhhh!!!! That's what that was!

Most of mine are pretty regular joint dislocations. My shoulders are good. Why can't I use my arm and roll over? Duh, because it's flipped out of socket.

Had a broken arm once for a few days (only one bone, ulna), before I realized it wasn't just a bruise. Did the same thing with my foot, but it was about a week before I finally went in and found out.

I had a broken ankle for 2 weeks before Sharon made me go to the doctor. It's amazing how much a work boot acts like a splint if you lace it up nice and tight and ice down the swelling every nite. The DR could see it on the xray as an older break and was amazed. I thought it was just a bad sprain.
smile.png
While I was in the cast I built a pretty nice quail pen among other farm projects. Sharon would call during the day to check on me everyday and I always said... "just resting hon"

Steve

My finger was broken for over a week before I went to the doctor. Swelling = nature's cast I guess. The splint they put on helped with the swelling, but didn't do anything for the pain, bah whatever! I only wore it for about 3 weeks instead of the 4-6 they recommended. Healed up great looking, but still gives me sharp pain in extreme cold (don't most old injuries?)

I'm always getting really minor stuff that I can't remember doing. It didn't hurt enough at the time of injury for me to notice/care, but then later at night when I'm relaxing and paying more attention to the small stuff (instead of some project) I'll touch it or move wrong and be like "how did that happen?" but I'm just talking about bruises and cuts or scrapes, nothing bad. My mom always said I got the strangest problems, because I never knew how I got them.

I also walked around on a broken ankle for a couple of weeks, had a broken finger for a week, looked down and found out I was bleeding/bruised/etc. surprised because I didn't know I hurt myself...

I'd like to know how many of you with that kind of dissociation with injuries are also adults with ADD or ADHD? I'm curious if it's as connected as I think it may be...

...as if you couldn't tell that about me?! Of course it's true!

Quote:
No quite the opposite for me, I think I have more of a "task fixation" and fairly high pain tolerance, so if it doesn't hurt very much I just ignore it.
I didn't ignore my broken finger, I almost passed out when it happened, bone pain to me is different than anything else and is the only thing I've experienced that makes me want to pass out. Cuts/scrapes, minor burns, bruises, bug bites, etc. generally don't register more than an initial "ouch" unless they are bleeding profusely then I'll have to flush it out and tape it up before I get back to work
tongue.png

I am sure I have ADD, and I am always getting bruises that I can't explain. I hurt all the time from Fibromyalgia, so I often don't know if the pain is something else or not. Kidney stones was a special kind of pain. I was vomiting from the pain. At this point I know that pain is usually meaningless. It's a bit odd to go to the doctors and ask for a shot in the hips. The pain is less than the original pain. Just when I think that I couldn't hurt any worse, my body will find another place on it and prove me wrong again.

Back
Top Bottom