Had a rough day ... thanks for the verbal hugs!!

Garsh, I can't imagine. N. Louisiana is waaay too cold for me, I keep talking about Marathon Key, or Belize, but dh just laughs. Guess he doesn't know how serious I am.... I cannot imagine why anyone would want to live where you do. No offense meant. It's just that I grew up in the SW desert, a whole nuther world. But, before you go out again, fix yourself a nice cup of hot tea and throw in some tincture of cayenne. It'll open you eyes wide and keep you warm all the time you're outside. It'll also do wonders for your sore throat. Kill it or cure it I always say.
cool.png

Sounds like a good plan to me.
smile.png

No offense... the 2-3 months of extreme cold are worth the mild summers though. I grew up in So. Cal, and I can't handle the heat anymore.

Well, no change in Chip. He's just not responding as quickly as I had hoped. 3.5 hours, and still just huddled there, sleeping. i'm still hopeful, but starting to worry that maybe he was too far gone when I found him.
sad.png
My little bubba is in a bad way...

Well, no change in Chip. He's just not responding as quickly as I had hoped. 3.5 hours, and still just huddled there, sleeping. i'm still hopeful, but starting to worry that maybe he was too far gone when I found him. My little bubba is in a bad way...

fl.gif
I hope he perks up. Have you tried any electrolytes or sugar water? Maybe his body used all his reserves up trying to keep warm.​

Yep, trying to get some into him... he's not drinking unless I pour it down, and that's not good for him. One drop at a time.

Here's some pictures...
IMG_4177.jpg

Chickencoop12-26-200812-04-45PM.jpg

Yep, trying to get some into him... he's not drinking unless I pour it down, and that's not good for him. One drop at a time.

Poor little guy!
sad.png
I hope he comes around.

You really don't have that much snow - I'm suprised. I thought it would be 10' deep up there.​

Wow! Sounds like you are having a really rough day!
hugs.gif
Here's a hug of support.

I'm kind of surprised that your coop isn't heated, with at least a lamp or something. Is that in the works for the future?

I know... my FIL tells stories of 15' snowdrifts, and we're lucky now to have a couple of feet on the ground. This was a good dumper by current standards.
hmm.png

Both coops are wired for heat, and I have heat going in both right now. The layer coop is actually quite nice inside with just the one lamp, and no one is having any problems.

The breeder coop is still new and under construction, and I need to slide some insulation under the floors. Even with the lamps on, it's only 9°F in there. Chip was the only youngster in there... everyone else is doing fine. He was ok last night, but something happened during the night that he got left out of the huddle, I guess.
sad.png

The other youngsters are in the heated garage. I don't usually heat until we get below -20F.

I know... my FIL tells stories of 15' snowdrifts, and we're lucky now to have a couple of feet on the ground.

I bet it would be alot warmer feeling with 15' of snow for insulation... Harder/impossible to get around, though.

Throat still hurting?​

Back
Top Bottom