Had a rough day ... thanks for the verbal hugs!!

Mrs MIA

Chick Magnet
11 Years
Mar 3, 2008
As is typical of NYE, I woke up with a sore throat. bleh.
sickbyc.gif
I can't remember the last time I got to enjoy NYE... last year I was flat on the couch with the flu. A few years back, it was pneumonia. Good thing Hubby and I are pretty laid back for NYE.

Then I look at the thermometer... -30°F at 7am ...holy cow.
th.gif
It's only 8°F in the breeder coop, so I'm sure all the water is frozen. Including any eggs the quail laid last night. Hubby's off to Anchorage for the day to pick up feed and deliver quail to someone in the Valley, so it's just me doing the morning rounds for the bunnies, ducks, chickens and gamebirds. Hubby made a comment before he left that Thumper (one of our older rabbits) should have been named something a little more masculine, because at -30F he's the only one out and about in his pen. Right... the reason he's out and about is because he expired from the cold.
barnie.gif
So I call hubby to let him know that there is a pen available for the 20# flemish giant that we're getting in exchange for the quail. That was fun...
hmm.png

Then I head out to the breeders coop, and there's Chip, my extra little mille fleur d'Uccle cockerel, just sitting on the floor in the middle of the pen. He's a momma's boy, so as soon as I come in he's trying to get out of the pen and into my arms. I said "Hi Chippers!" and nothing. He's cold. He's been nudged out of the warmth of the other bodies, and he's cold. He is now sitting in a warm box soaking up warmth from the furnace. He's not looking good. It's been almost 2 hours and he still won't move without encouragement.
fl.gif

While Chip is warming up, I bundle back up like the Michelin Man and head out to the duck runs with warm water for them, only to discover that one of the Rouens must have tried to take a bath last night and is now dripping with icicles. Again...
barnie.gif
barnie.gif
barnie.gif
She's in the bathtub, drying off after a luke-warm shower and bath.

I'm afraid to ask "What's next?"
hide.gif
hu.gif

Last edited:
hugs.gif

Happy New Year
cool.png

Sorry I can't come pour ya a glass of champagne and help you feed
the animals.

You'll feel better tomorrow.

I don't mean to do this, really I don't, but
lau.gif
YOU ARE A CRACK UP!!!!! I have this mental picture of a bird with icicles all over it with a Santa hat on, for some reason. I know I am weird. You gave me the funniest visual of the day.

I really hope that Chip gets better, though he may be faking you out in order to stay warm. And your poor bunny
hit.gif
I would be very upset if I lost my bun bun.

hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
And I apologize for laughing. I still can't shake that picture in my head.

hope the little roo is getting better
fl.gif
sending prayers your way for him to get better! oh and heres that virtual hug to virtually warm you up or you could just come to houston! at the lowest its probably 65 degrees here
big_smile.png

Thanks guys... with DH gone I didn't have anyone else to lean on. It's nice to be able to vent/rant/cry to people that understand the frustration of keeping animals in the extreme cold. There was a time when I dreaded going out in the morning, because there was always someone dead or dying... usually the Button Quail (which is why they are all gone now... I sold them). The Coturnix and Chukars are doing quite well with all of this, but the few younger birds tend to get left out in the cold sometimes, despite our best efforts to keep them rounded up and under heat. *sigh*

fl.gif
Early Spring, Early Spring, Early Spring, Early Spring, Early Spring
fl.gif

Quote:
It was really quite comical at first, and I berated her for getting so wet. Then she looked at me all miserable and shivering, so I took pity and brought her inside. She'll be fine... and she really did have clumps of ice and icicles literally dripping off of her wing feathers.
ep.gif

Back
Top Bottom