Had an escapee this morning!

ChevygirlBeth

Songster
11 Years
Aug 21, 2008
The Hills of Eastern Ohio
I had noticed that my Guinea keets were going to have to be moved to a bigger brooder soon because they were starting to jump almost high enough to get out of the rubbermaid tote they were in. When I woke up this morning I had one keet in the brooder peeping its head off and the the other one was nowhere in sight. I found it hiding in a corner - alive and well, thankfully. So, needless to say, they got moved to a bigger brooder this morning before I left for work! I have to try to secure it further tonight when I get home, but it should work for now!
814_img_2600.jpg

814_img_2601.jpg

I used a water trough that I had in the garage and brought the dog gate out from the house (used it mostly when housebreaking the dogs and don't use it now) to cover it with. It's not perfect, but it was what we had to work with! I put some weight on top of it and DH is off work today, so he has strict instructions to check on it as he can around making hay.
smile.png

If I have time, I hope to get some hardware cloth and use some scrap wood to make a top that fits it a little better. If we don't have time for that tonight, I figure I'll use some ratchet straps to hold it so the gate can't be slid off by any critters wanting to get in - do you think that would work temporarily?

I am just amazed at how fast these guineas are growing! They're almost 2 weeks old and they sure can jump high!

I like your set-up better than what I did with my chicks! I had them in a large, plastic sided dog crate, which became a hassle to clean. Congrats on your successful improvising!

That water trough is a great idea, wish I had one. My set up in the garage uses old screen doors and bird netting. Gets the job done, mostly.

I just got my guinnea chicks in the mail today - one was DOA, and I lost two while I was selling a foal (and before I got the chicks situated). I searched EVERYWHERE for the lost keets, to no avail. I now have three guinneas. Is there anything special I need to do for them that I wouldn't normally do for layer or meat bird chicks? I got the heads up on the brooder lid, so thanks for posting this thread :O)

M

If you set up the keets where the other 2 might hear them they could come back. Don't know where you are so whether they survive the night outside would depend on how cold it gets.

Keep 'em warm, 90-95 degrees the first week, fresh water with vitamins, chick starter, a surface they won't slide around on, protection from predators.

Back
Top Bottom