Had been calling this a rooster, but not sure now.

Ravie

Songster
9 Years
Aug 4, 2010
Greenfield, Indiana
Hi guys, this is a 11-12 week old Australorp/EE chick. I had been calling it a rooster because it's comb got redder earlier than the other chicks (all of which had non-EE mothers), but now I am not so sure. It's feathers are no different from the other chicks'. I am not seeing any point hackle or tail feathers. What do you think? I hope the picture is sufficient, this little bird likes to hang out in the bushes. I was lucky to get a shot of it before it dove for cover!

64761_imgp9105-1.jpg

I myself don't know just from looking at him/her. Do you have any pictures of the others so we can compare them?

Based upon that pic, I'm going to say cockeral. Looks like some saddle feathers developing and pretty thick legs.

Last edited:
i think its a pullet but im still kind of new but seems like all my pullets and hen have straight tails like that and most roosters i have seen r more bent over and fluffy looking if know what i mean also her feathers dont look a roosters feather with the pointed & shiny hackle and saddle feathers. hers feathers in hackle and saddle areas are oval & rounded which more like a hen hope i helped a lil

Quote:
The curls, hackles, and saddles come over time, that comband legs indicate cockerel. You can even see the base of its neck hackles.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I have been calling it a rooster all along, but today I decided to second-guess myself! Here are some more pics of his half-sisters and him. Note that his half-sisters are NOT EE crosses like he is. Their mothers are red or black sex-links.

64761_imgp9158-1.jpg

64761_imgp9146-1.jpg

Our Rooster again:

64761_imgp9154-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom