1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Had been calling this a rooster, but not sure now.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Ravie, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Ravie

Ravie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    Greenfield, Indiana
    Hi guys, this is a 11-12 week old Australorp/EE chick. I had been calling it a rooster because it's comb got redder earlier than the other chicks (all of which had non-EE mothers), but now I am not so sure. It's feathers are no different from the other chicks'. I am not seeing any point hackle or tail feathers. What do you think? I hope the picture is sufficient, this little bird likes to hang out in the bushes. I was lucky to get a shot of it before it dove for cover!

[​IMG]

2. Dutchgirl

Dutchgirl Not Dutch!

Apr 1, 2008
    U.S.A.
    I myself don't know just from looking at him/her. Do you have any pictures of the others so we can compare them?

3. Ravie

Aug 4, 2010
    Greenfield, Indiana
    Will try to get some. (S)he's hard to get a photograph of! Stay tuned! Going outside right now.

4. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    That's a rooster. [​IMG]

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Based upon that pic, I'm going to say cockeral. Looks like some saddle feathers developing and pretty thick legs.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  6. chickenbuttsowhat

chickenbuttsowhat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Danville, Arkansas
    i think its a pullet but im still kind of new but seems like all my pullets and hen have straight tails like that and most roosters i have seen r more bent over and fluffy looking if know what i mean also her feathers dont look a roosters feather with the pointed & shiny hackle and saddle feathers. hers feathers in hackle and saddle areas are oval & rounded which more like a hen hope i helped a lil

7. khatar

khatar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    Quote:The curls, hackles, and saddles come over time, that comband legs indicate cockerel. You can even see the base of its neck hackles.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  8. Ravie

Aug 4, 2010
    Greenfield, Indiana
    Thanks guys. I have been calling it a rooster all along, but today I decided to second-guess myself! Here are some more pics of his half-sisters and him. Note that his half-sisters are NOT EE crosses like he is. Their mothers are red or black sex-links.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Our Rooster again:

[​IMG]

9. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

roo, he looks like mine. [​IMG]

10. FarmCoe

FarmCoe Flock Mistress

May 22, 2010
    Planet Earth
    I don't know.... [​IMG]