had one hatch... and then die over night

shiloh04

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jan 15, 2010
I had one hatch, with a tiny bit of help. He chirped up a storm before he came out, the membranes were not bleeding at all, yolk all absorbed. I just helped him out by keeping his membranes moist because I had poked a little hole in his shell to make sure he didn't drown since the humidity was so high for the whole 21 days. I did this with a medicine dropper and a little cup of water that I kept in the incubator.

So he hatched, and he was strong, chirping, kicking and squirming in the incubator at 1 am. At 9, he was dead, though recently as he's not stiff. His fluff never dried out, as it's still all slicked down.

Could something just be wrong with this cross? Like they are just not meant to live? Even the ones who have pipped never seem to make it past that.

Sure it happens. During hatch, chicks have to convert from blood oxygenation to breathing to oxygenate. If there's a problem , because of the oxygen still in their body and some oxygen that's being breathed, it's just not enough, it might have taken a few hours to catch up. But this is only one scenario.

That does make sense. Next time I will use a different rooster, just in case this is a genetic issue.

Sorry about your babies.
sad.png

Catherine

Back
Top Bottom