Call duckling having trouble with internal pip?

Mucky Boots

In the Brooder
Dec 11, 2022
It's day 26 hatching some call duck eggs - I've hatched many chook eggs before, but this is my first go with duck eggs. People say calls can need assistance, so I've done all the research I can.

However, there's one that looks like he's trying to internally pip, but not breaking the membrane - I can see a sort of wiggling "beak tent" close to the edge of the shell, if that makes sense. It's a bit bigger egg than the others, so I wondered if the membrane had more flexibility/room to move, making it more difficult to puncture?? It's been in that position for almost 24 hours now.

Just wondered if anyone else has had experience with this? Am I worrying over nothing/ being too impatient? I just don't want to leave it to late if he's at risk of drowning or something if there's anything I can do.

Thanks in advance for any advice! :)

Oh...um...okay, this cracked me up. The "beak tent" that I was talking about? It was his foot!! When I just checked it again, I could see a beak waving about as well, so the first shadow that I thought was a beak shadow was actually his big ducky clodhopper! :lau

Thanks anyway for your reply nuthatched. Maybe I should stop hovering over the incubator like a mother hen lol!

Back
Top Bottom