Had to grow up a little tonight in chicken rearing

Good on you for handling it correctly... It is never easy and certainly never fun to cull, but part of farming. Sorry you had to give up one of your girls for the better of the flock.

We just set up the chicken cam in one of the hen houses today hoping to catch an egg eater tomorrow. Not sure it is a hen though as the shell is left each time and cut open so to speak hens usually eat everything. We have a couple suspect species of wild birds visiting more often than normal so we will see.

Thanks everybody. It is a part of the endeaver we have taken on. We do need to do what is best for all.... I just know that she is happy in heaven and not eating eggs anymore!!

Quote:
gig.gif

Sorry for your loss

but that was pretty funny!

yeah and thank you!!

I've had to cull two. Both roosters. One at about 6 weeks of age, and he didn't even have the decency to get large enough to eat before he started bloodying the pullets. And my other roo got the hatchet last week. He was too aggressive and despite many attempts to correct his behavior, he continued to flog me when I went in to feed them. So he's dinner. It wasn't fun, but at least I was able to salvage something of value from roo #2

Quote:
Sorry for your loss... We had a crested polish lady last year that when I went in the run she would run at me like a roo, I would always take a stick with me cuz she would run and put both feet up like she was gonna get me good.... no more crested polish for me....

Quote:
because she acted like she had a screw loose and we couldnt catch her!!!

Pick up a big fishnet for trout and big bass at a sporting goods store with a nice long handle, works like a charm for capture.

Back
Top Bottom