Had to move the pigeons from house to garage and it's cold out.

SmittenChickens

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 7, 2012
So I got my pigeons 2 weeks ago. They were living in my bedroom with me in a dog crate on the floor. Love them, but I saw a mouse today! :( It was looking at the birds so I think it was attracted by their seed.

I had to move them into the garage. I feel so guilty! :( They lived outside before I bought them, but have been in a heated home the past 2 weeks. Now they're in an unheated but insulated garage. I did everything I could to make it warm for them.. all doors and windows closed so ZERO drafts, stacked hay bales around their cage to insulate, their cage is actually sitting on a pair of sawhorses to keep them off the cold cement floor. I have 3 blankets layered over their cage with a little opening for ventilation. I gave them a nest box full of hay. Right now their water is unheated, I'm going to check it right before bed and first thing in the morning to ensure it's not frozen until I can get a heated dish for them. I'm also adding a bit of cracked corn to their food (dove seed from Farm and Fleet) to give them something to eat that will help them stay fat and warm.

Will they be ok? I'm really worried about the shock of going from heated house to not heated garage. It's in the 30s here, low tonight is in the high 20s. During the day it gets into the low 50s.

I feel so bad for having to move them, but mice are so NOT ok. It's not good for the birds to be around the stinking mice, either.

They will be fine
smile.png
. My ringneck doves lived in my uninsulated garage their whole lives and I live in Maine and pigeons are much better insulated than ringnecks. Previous to me getting them, they lived in a house. I was able to build them a huge cage in the garage with outdoor provisions. Pigeons like flat roosts so it isn't as much of an issue but make sure perches are wide enough for belly feathers to cover the feet when roosting.

My doves are in a 4 car garage that was insulated when I had it built but not no much now [mice].

Keep the drafts away. I don't think the blankets are a good idea--not enough light. As the weather gets colder I sometimes completely [drape over] cover my cages with plastic [the frosty kind not the clear stuff, that is expensive]. A huge roll 8X100 ft is $26.00 and will last me 2 years for all my windows and cages. They need air and light--as long as they are dry they should be ok. My Chickens and quail are there and I treat them all the same. Being to careful is sometimes not so healthy.
I feed chicken scratch and sunflower seeds, a slice of bread for treat. Sometimes put in poultry layer and wild bird seed. A friend that has had doves for 40 years feeds only duck and turkey pellets. Mine just wont eat that.

Thanks for the input guys, I really appreciate it! Tonight I bought them a mix of sunflower/safflower/peanut, so I figure that will be good and fatty to keep them in good condition.

I was going to cover up the cage well with blankets at night and open it up during the day when there is light. Should I not do that? My first time with pigeons or birds of any kind, I'm clueless!

No, you don't have to. pigeons are actually kinda active through the night if there's enough light. They'll be fine, especially with no wind beating them.

Thanks for all of the help guys! They fared just fine their first night; didn't even look like they used their little nest box full of hay to keep warm in. It stayed pretty nice in the garage; their water didn't even freeze or even have any ice crystals in it.

I think all my worries were for nothing. I think they'll enjoy living out there, it's much quieter. :)

I live in climate like Alaska(Poland).I breed hens(silkie),golden pheasant,and pigeons(kings,highflyers).In winter every in open aviary.Water is freezing during 10 minutes!They must in hurry in drinking!Two times a day I give them warm water.Two times a week I give them to drink tea made from herbs(nettle,carrot and others).Every healty,no one dead.but in winter it is better to take out their egs-hard frost is giving big pain for young.It is better if pearches are made of wood, and no cold drafts.Good luck. Andrew

Hi kestrel. Wow, from Poland! It's waaaay colder there than it is here!

Thanks for the info! Their perches are wood so I've got that covered!

Andrew from Poland: so nice to hear from other countries. I will do some research on the herb TEA and see what I can brew up over here in the States that my doves would like. I had not thought of tea. I can give it to my chickens and quail also.

Please lets us all hear from you on a regular basis. Thank you for contributing. Your english writing is wounderful.

Back
Top Bottom