Had to put down one, more have signs of bumblefoot

lukkyseven

Songster
Sep 13, 2018
Maryland
I had to put one chicken down a few days ago thanks to bumblefoot. I started checking the other chickens and noticed about half of them have the black dot.

Most of their lives unfortunately were in a wet run as I just couldn't solve the water issue in that area. Over the past month or more I have corrected that and we are moving forward.

Are the pictures below bumblefoot as well? Chickens are not limping (walking and running like normal), egg production is also very normal.

What do I do at this stage? What can I do to prevent this moving forward? Is there any chance it's just a scabbed over cut on their feet?

Attachments

• Resized_20190608_202633.jpeg
    Resized_20190608_202633.jpeg
    435.3 KB · Views: 14
  • Resized_20190608_202652.jpeg
    Resized_20190608_202652.jpeg
    423.9 KB · Views: 13
I'm not familiarized with bumblefoot treatment but I think at this point you clean it really well, put some antibiotic on it and cover it with some form of bandage and hope that by staying dry and clean it heals itself.

I've never heard of having to put a chicken down because of bumblefoot. Did it go septic or something?

Does the foot pad feel hot or hard at all, or is it kinda soft and pliable and not especially warm?

I had to put one chicken down a few days ago thanks to bumblefoot. I started checking the other chickens and noticed about half of them have the black dot.

Most of their lives unfortunately were in a wet run as I just couldn't solve the water issue in that area. Over the past month or more I have corrected that and we are moving forward.

Are the pictures below bumblefoot as well? Chickens are not limping (walking and running like normal), egg production is also very normal.

What do I do at this stage? What can I do to prevent this moving forward? Is there any chance it's just a scabbed over cut on their feet?
That is Bumblefoot.
You can try soaking in epsom salts, dry well, apply Clear (decolorized) Iodine (do not use the red stuff), wrap the foot, place her on clean dry bedding. The next day take off the wrapping and see if the scab has loosened enough to remove that and the kernel underneath. If it has, then pack the hole with triple antibiotic ointment, wrap the foot and place her where it will stay dry. Check it in a day or so to see if it's healing.

@Wyorp Rock : what does one wrap the foot with? Is there an article with pictures on Bumblefoot? I am very curious about this now, this has been so devastating to @lukkyseven's flock... I really want to know more.

@lukkyseven I am so sorry you are having such a hard time with this and for the loss of your chicken. I hope this turns out well for you and your birds. :hugs:hugs

@Wyorp Rock : what does one wrap the foot with? Is there an article with pictures on Bumblefoot? I am very curious about this now, this has been so devastating to @lukkyseven's flock... I really want to know more.

@lukkyseven I am so sorry you are having such a hard time with this and for the loss of your chicken. I hope this turns out well for you and your birds. :hugs:hugs
@BigBlueHen53 You can use Vet Wrap (VetRap?), find it at TSC, Walmart, Amazon, etc.
There are several videos showing how to wrap, I posted one below. There are many ways to treat Bumblefoot, depending on the severity of the bumblefoot, sometimes it does need to be removed by cutting it out, but I like to try less invasive methods first if possible. https://the-chicken-chick.com/bumblefoot-causes-treatment-warning/

Sorry, busy weekend.

My plan of action right now is waiting on supplies to show up at my house. That should show up tomorrow. I'm going to apply some neosporin and wrap. I don't currently have Iodine, I could probably go try to find some.

The chicken that was put down was not just because of bumblefoot. She had nutrition problems as a young chicken, it caused some deformities, her egg production was not very good either (as well as eggs under 40g in weight). When I went to look at them the other day her foot was swollen the size of a ping pong ball and it was kind of the last straw.

That however did get me to check the rest of the flock. I'm going through the process of trying to find what could be causing this in their living quarters right now. Maybe there's a lose staple on the floor (I stapled vinyl to it for easier clean up - works great). I plan on sanding down the roost bars and maybe redoing the ladder for them to walk up into the coop.

My personal reaction is to do nothing as I suspect that's what my grandmother would have done on her farm. They however also had a rooster and could constantly resupply their egg production if they lose some layers. These chickens just appear to have a scab on their foot from a puncture. I can see how this could lead to infection of captive chickens like mine vs ones that are 100% free ranged. So I will put a little bit of effort into trying to heal their feet.

I've never heard of having to put a chicken down because of bumblefoot. Did it go septic or something?

Does the foot pad feel hot or hard at all, or is it kinda soft and pliable and not especially warm?
The feet of the affected chickens vs non affected chickens (I picked up all 10 of mine and checked) feel no different. Everything is very pliable and does not feel like a mass has formed.

Back
Top Bottom