Had wry neck...gave vitamins, head is straight, but now.....

fleabag3

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 30, 2011
he has a cyst...or fluid filled sac of some kind on his neck

here is the best pic i could get...he was sunning himself in the grass. ..thanks for the input!

this is him standing. he is doing well
smile.png
the others dont bother him..he eats and drinks.
98184_july_18_2011_068.jpg

dont know if you can see, but it is definately fluid. started out small and just got bigger
98184_july_18_2011_093.jpg

98184_july_18_2011_094.jpg

98184_july_18_2011_095.jpg

it is only on one side...sorry, i am really new to this. i dont even know what a crop is...

Quote:
The crop is a pouch that their food goes into before it is digested. It expands as the chicken eats and then goes back down overnight. I really think you are seeing his crop. Check again in the morning before you feed him to see if it is smaller. You can check a healthy bird before and then after it eats so you can see what it is supposed to look and feel like.

Crops can become impacted (blocked) but there is no reason to assume that your guy has this problem right now. Check him in the morning and post back if it is still full.
smile.png

oh...thats kinda scary if that is what it is.....it is always the same...day and night. it never changes. before i gave him the vitamins, it wasnt there. but once i gave him the vitamins and his head went back to the normal place, it started filling. i hope it isnt food getting stuck! i will double check when i get homeand see if it is smaller.

Did you ever get an answer to what the fluid sack is. I have a royal palm turkey that seems to be ok but also has the large sack or swollen chest area. i picked her up and fluid atarted oozing out her mouth. Do not know if I should try and squeeze the fluid out or just let her be.

Quote:
That sounds like she has an impacted or more likely sour crop. You can give her a little Apple Cider Vinegar to help. Massaging to help break it up is another technique. I recommended searching sour crop on the forum for how to treat it. Some people have the chicken (in your case turkey) vomit it up, but it's tricky to make sure they don't aspirate it (breathe the liquid in).

Good luck!

i am thinking that b/c his head is bent a little, i just see his crop full more than the others, if that is possible. he/she is fine...growing and eating. getting along fine with others in flock. thanks for all your help!!

Back
Top Bottom