Hairline crack; nail polish?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by XavCas, Mar 2, 2013.

1. XavCas

XavCas Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2012
    It is day 5 of incubation and my hen is sitting on 2 eggs, while I was candling today I noticed one had a hairlike ( ? ) crack. I was wondering if you could put nail polish on it and if it would still hatch.? Also, would the egg be ok if I wait till tomorrow to do it because I dont wanna disturb her anymore then I have to or have her crack the egg even more.. I was just gonna wait for her to jump off the nest to do her business. Im really nervous and scared the two eggs wont hatch.. i guess its daddy jitters because this feeling always happens when I hatch eggs, but this is my first crack on an egg. Just need answers thanks.!!

2. Angiebubs

Angiebubs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    I don't know about nail polish but I used to have a buiness raising exotic birds (parrots) and it was a common practice to use crazy glue on a hairline crack. Just make sure not to get too much on as it will seal the pores up.

3. XavCas

XavCas Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2012
    I put some nail polish on the crack, I really hope this works. I have a bad feeling about this hatch though. She is a new mom and its cold here. Does anyone know what the chance of these two eggs to hatch will be.? I know they are both fertile..

4. Angiebubs

Angiebubs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    Not sure where you are located but we live in MN/WI area and I know there are lots of people with hens sitting on chicks/eggs...so the temp should be fine.

5. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I have tried to get my hens to sit on eggs that had a crack before- they always seem to know and open up that egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by