hambuger meat help needed

cybercat

Songster
12 Years
May 22, 2007
Greeneville, Tn
Ok, all I have 20 lbs of fresh home grown hamburger comming to me from a man at hubbys work. He buys eggs from us and he just butcher one of his cows for someone else and we are getting 20 lbs of hamburger. So I have all my normal recipes like chilli, meatloaf,spegettii, mac/cheese with hamburger but I would like a few more. So please help me with some ideas here on how to use all this great meat. Thanks.

there is a kit called.......soft taco bake in the ethic food isle. I do a layer of meat with the cheese they give you, layer of tortilla, layer of refried beans , shredded cheese, layer of tortilla, spanish rice toppped with salsa. Bake 20 mins @ 350 .I serve with sour cream....

I call it mexican lasanaga

I also do a baked cheeseburger..............meat, egg, bread crumbs, spices , ketchup & steak sauce. I form it like a meat loaf but take out middle meat....add cheese and pat flat the extra burger and seal top, drizzel kethup on top and bake 30 mins @ 350-375

Also fry meat up, make egg noodles and get brown gravy.................add together and bang! Dinner.............LOL

Sloppy Joe's, tacos, beef quesadillas, meat loaf, there are numerous other things to do with ground beef and 20 pounds really isn't a lot. Well...not here anyway. I even fry it with cabbage, use it in veggie beef soup and nachos is always a hit.

Make Ranch burgers by adding 1 packet of ranch powder mix to 1-2 # hamburger, add some finely chopped onions, form into patties and grill or fry. Yummy!

Or there is always tater tot casserole!
big_smile.png

It's also very good in a simple meat pie. Put your ground beef to which you've added cut up onions (we like LOTS of onions, but you can add them to your own taste), into a skillet ( I use my big iron skillet, but this can also be made in a 9X13 baking pan) After the beef is no longer pink and the onions are tender, drain off any fat / water, then add 1 can whole kernel corn (drained), I can red kidney beans (drained) and 1 can of tomatoes not drained. Cover with canned biscuits that have been patted flat, or you can make your own to cover the meat / veggie mixture. Put in a 350 degree oven & cook until biscuits are golden and cooked through (if you cook it too hot the biscuit tops will brown but the underside will be doughy). You can add cayenne, basil, oregano, or any other spices to suit your own palate. This is a quick, easy, and filling meal.
smile.png

Maybe Shepherds Pie?

Brown 1 lb of ground beef, onion, salt, and pepper. When it's browned add a can of cream of mushroo soup and cook and stir for 5 minutes or so. Make up some mashed potatoes (I make real ones). Cook half a bag of frozen veggies (I use corn, or green beans, or mixed veggies). Then place ground beef mixture in the bottom of a smaller dutch oven or can use casserole dish if you want to bake it, but I just usually do it on the stovetop. Then layer the cooked veggies. Then the mashed potatoes. And then cheddar cheese -- I'd guess about a heavy cup or so. Let cook on med/low on the stovetop with lid on the pot until the cheese is melted. If baking cook at 375 degrees until cheese is melted. Soooo yummy! Definitely a comfort food.

garlic meatballs.. i add lots of garlic powder to hamburger.. salt and pepper.. make meatballs and fry till brown .. simmer in a couple of cans of mushroom soup diluted with some water and when done serve over noodles or mashed taters.

hamburger pot pies. like beef only use hamburger

hamburger soup.. make like vegetable beef only brown hamburger and add to soup.

Sloppy Joes!

I found this recipe online and there will never be another can of Manwich in my house.

1 pound lean ground beef
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon yellow mustard
3/4 cup ketchup
3 teaspoons brown sugar
salt to taste
ground black pepper to taste
Directions
1.In a medium skillet over medium heat, brown the ground beef, onion, and green pepper; drain off liquids.
2.Stir in the garlic powder, mustard, ketchup, and brown sugar; mix thoroughly. Reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

Thats the basic recipe. If I don't have green peppers on hand, I just leave them out and its still super good. I don't really measure any of the ingredients anymore, somenights I add a little extra mustard, other nights it gets extra brown sugar.

Back
Top Bottom